Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook x360 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, for my ERP software I need a INSERT key for certain functions. This functions can't be substituted with ALT+V or something else. I need a INSERT key or this ERP software won't provide certain program functions. I also don't want a key on touchscreen keyboard but a solid INSERT key on the keyboard. Am I in nightmare or why can't I locate a INSERT key on this super-duper expensive machine, made for business (where INSERT is a elemtary important key in several software)? Thanks for any relevant answers.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Was there ever a resolution to this issue? I am also experiencing this issue with my Elitebook x360 G2....

HP Recommended

The Insert key can be emulated by <fn> + E

Other Hot keys are

<fn> + C ... Scroll Lock

<fn> + R ... Break

<fn> + S ... Prog

<fn> + W ... Pause

This information can be found in the User Guide (Edition January 2017) on page 15.

Regards,

S.

HP Recommended

Thank you Segomarus. Unfortunately, that didn't work. I need to use Ctrl + Alt + Fn + Insert and Ctrl + Alt + Fn + E didn't work. It might just be that I need a different shortcut entirely on this machine. I appreciate the help!

HP Recommended

Hi jca5052,

Sorry the <fn> trick didn't work for you. Does <fn>+E work at all? E.g. in Command Prompt?

You could try to send <Ctrl><Alt><Insert> using the On-Screen Keyboard (not the Touch keyboard) in "Windows Accessories" -> "Windows Ease of Access".
Or simply <WinKey> osk <Enter>. Just a workaround, not very elegant though.

Regards,
S.

HP Recommended

Thanks, that's working for me 🙂

HP Recommended

@Segomarus @jca5052 @stoia

I need the insert key because I am running virtual-boxes with linux inside. Here copy-pase is ctrl-insert, shift-insert. I use it a lot, so I would need a simple solution, not pressing many keys or an onscreen keyboard.

What I would like is to redefine one of the keys that I never use like the phone pick-up phone put-down to act as insert without ctrl/shift/fn etc.

Is that possible?

HP Recommended

"Ctrl + Alt + Fn + Insert " is a very BAD program design.

Fn + Insert has different functionality depending on the keyboard. This is not a standard key combination. You can have 'Ctrl + Alt + Insert'. You can have 'Ctrl + Alt + Modkey + Insert'. The function key 'Fn' is of a lesser standard than the stupid Modkey itself. Besides there's one or two keys too many in the PS/2 standard nowadays. Ctrl and Alt key combinations are plenty enough.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.