Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteBook 6930p

Hi all,

Title says everything. 've taken it upon myself to rebuild an HP EliteBook 6930p. So far, I have everything up to the top cover put together (motherboard, CPU, memory, etc.), but I noticed that when I turn it on, the fan runs at a rather high speed, the switch cover doesn't light up, and I'm not seeing any video output on the screen, nor do I see anything if I connect an external monitor. Despite this, it does look like the motherboard works, as I can see some hard drive activity and I've tried connecting an external mouse to it, which also appears to work. Besides, I've bought motherboards in the past that have so much as simply not powered on. 

I still have a few more parts coming in within the coming days, but until then, how can I fix the current issues I'm having before then, so that I can make sure this actually works when all is said and done?

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Bump/update: I reseated the heatsink and now the fan isn't running at top speed, but I'm still not getting a picture and I'm not seeing a lot of hard drive activity.

Also, the wireless light blinks five times, flashing amber and blue. What could that mean?

HP Recommended

Another bump/update: After looking over everything I did, it turns out the RAM wasn't seated properly and that may have been why the wireless light was blinking the way it was. I'm still not getting a picture on my monitor, though, and I'm not seeing any hard drive activity. Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

Does the computer provide any POST errors (beeps) when the RAM is completely removed? 

Have you attempted to connect an external monitor via VGA or HDMI?

Paul Isaacson
Owner and Lead Technician
HP Recommended

There weren't any beeps with the RAM completely removed, just the blinking wireless light.

I also meant to post another update-- I installed the new screen some hours ago (at the time of this post), and the screen does work. The only thing that isn't working now is the the switch cover-- while the power button works, the other buttons don't light up. At this point in time, the computer is just about fully-functional, but are there any suggestions on how to get the switch cover working again?

HP Recommended

What are you defining at the switch cover? 

Paul Isaacson
Owner and Lead Technician
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.