Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-ch0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I turn to turn on virtualization which can only be done through the bios but I cannot remember my bios password. I would have sent it in to HP and paid to have it reset, but I cannot part with the laptop for even a day not to mention 2 to 3 weeks. It does not seem to have any dedicated cmos battery or I do not know where it is located. How can I reset the password myself? What other options do I have other than sending it in? This is the system spec:

O/S:                              Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Microprocessor:        Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8705G CPU @ 3.10GHz

Memory:                     16GB - 2 Slots

System board:          83BB 60.33

System Bios:             F.24

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

Enter any BIOS P/W three times and the PC should generate a system disabled code.

Post the code you get.

HP Recommended

There is no system disabled code. After entering the wrong password three times, It just shows the S/N and asks to insert the HP USB sparekey, and I don't have that anymore. 

HP Recommended

OK.

You'll have to contact HP and they may be able to send you a SMC.bin file that you can use at bootup to clear the P/W.

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

HP Recommended

Yeah, I tried that, but they would not give it to me - only option I was given was to send it in.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.