cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DesertDog13
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

New SSD install: System won't prompt for DriveLock authentication so HDD won't boot

HP Recommended
ProBook 4710s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

ProBook 4710s BIOS ver 68PZI Ver. F.20

SSD: "Team Group L5 3D 2.5" 480GB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) "

4GB RAM

After a successful install of Windows 10 Pro on a fresh SSD, I set the DriveLock up in BIOS and have not been able to boot the system since.

The Windows install was a success and all updates were downloaded and installed - which included several reboots and restarts with no issues.  When the system was completely setup, I went into BIOS and setup DriveLock with both required passwords.  After that I haven't been able to boot.  When trying to boot the the HDD, I get the following message:

"Non-System disk or disk error

replace and strike any key when ready"

However, I am never prompted to enter the DriveLock password, nor am I prompted for the BIOS ADMIN password to enter BIOS and try and make changes to get out of this mess.

In BIOS> SECURITY: The only options for DriveLock are "DriveLock Password" and "Automatic DriveLock" - neither of which do anything other than tell me "Drive is locked" when I select "Notebook Hard Drive"  - which is the only option.

I have removed the battery, held power button for 45 seconds to reset BIOS, tinkered with every security and boot option I could think of, but I am never prompted for the DriveLock password OR the BIOS ADMIN password at BOOT, and so the HDD remains DriveLocked and cannot boot.  

My compliments to the Chef.  The system I just setup is so secure I cannot get into it.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation