Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteBook Revolve 810 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Support Assistant just suggested to me to create a password reset disk, which must be blank.

My question is will this disk have to be used specifically to recover or reset my Windows password or will I still be able to use it as a regular USB flash drive, that is, copy and move files, etc?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

A password reset disk is only helpful if the user forgots the Windows password and cannot login.  It has to be made on the PC before the problem arises and it is not transferable to another PC.  It is meant to be only for the purpose of resetting the password, so if you are asking about using the flash drive or reset disk for other purposes too, then NO.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

A password reset disk is only helpful if the user forgots the Windows password and cannot login.  It has to be made on the PC before the problem arises and it is not transferable to another PC.  It is meant to be only for the purpose of resetting the password, so if you are asking about using the flash drive or reset disk for other purposes too, then NO.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I hope they fix this 'cause resetting a password shouldn't cost money.

HP Recommended

Interesting comment.  There are plenty of free ways.  Why did you make that comment anyways.  Do you need a password reset remedy?

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

In order for me to determine whether which password reset method I'm going to go with I have to know all the alternatives well.  And the includes knowing whether or not the password reset disk will require it's own dedicated USB flash drive.

Now that I've seen your answer I will definitely consider another alternative.  Plus, it may get lost or broken.  I don't know.  I just don't find this idea too attractive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.