Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
09-10-2020 03:06 PM
@JR1987 Welcome to HP Community!
I understand that you would like to hard drive encryption.
HP Notebook PCs - About Hard Drive Encryption
Drive Encryption enables a user to make all data on the hard drive unreadable to others without correct authentication or designated password. If your computer is lost or stolen, everything on your hard drive is protected from potential theft and will not be accessible even if someone removes the hard drive and installs it on another PC. HP ProtectTools provides a simple and efficient way to select specific information or an entire volume to encrypt. Encryption is activated and deactivated with a single authentication device such as a password, smart card, or fingerprint swipe.
How to Enable Drive Encryption
To enable drive encryption, complete the following steps.
- Open HP ProtectTools by clicking Start, All programs, HP ProtectTools Security Manager.
- Select Drive Encryption from the menu on the left. The terms and conditions are on the right. You must accept these terms and conditions to encrypt your hard drive.
- Enter your Windows user name and your network domain name. In the Windows Password box, enter your Windows log-on password. These can be the same user name, domain and password you use to sign onto your computer.
- In the Authentication Method dialog box, select the desired authentication method. Click Next.
- The Disk Drives to Protect dialog box appears. Select the drive or drives to encrypt and click Next.
You will need a removable storage device such as a USB thumb drive to encrypt your drive and store your encryption key.
- The Select Backup Disk dialog box appears. Insert the removable drive. When the drive appears in the list, select it and click Next.
- The Security Backup dialog box appears. Choose a method for backing up your data. HP strongly recommends that you maintain a recovery account for your PC. To configure Encryption only, select I only want to back up locally at this time and do not want to use the web recovery service.
- Select Finish.
Depending on the amount of data you are encrypting, the entire encryption process can take from a few minutes to several hours.
Keep us posted,
If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you,
Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post,
Have a great day!
Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask the community