Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

the notebook reports at each boot "There is a problem with the Endpoint Security Controller on this device. Please ask HP for maintenance" (translated from German).

If I hit enter or after altering some Bios settings simply waiting 15 seconds the message goes away and the laptop boots.

Bios has been reset to factory defaults and is up to date, the HP Client Security Manager and Sure... stuff has been installed during the first phone session with an HP supporter and was running without issues, even Windows 10 has been reinstalled from a clean 1909 medium.

Is there anything else I can do besides again calling HP support who left me yesterday after telling me to try reinstalling the OS before any other actions?

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well, final solution was replacement of the mainboard.

(The HP technician onsite tried also various things before finally replacing the hardware, but did not succeed either.)

Olaf

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Olaf_E 

That is something to do with HP Sure Run. Please try to re-install HP Client Security Manager from the following link

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/ads/clientmanagement/download.html

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Installing Client Security Manager and Sure Run were about the first things the technician asked me to perform.

Didn't solve the issue.

Olaf

HP Recommended

HEllo

Endpoint Security Controller is hardware manage by BIOS.

USing HP Client Security manager + HP Sure Run and HP Sure Recover is optional. haing it or not in the OS will not cause the error during boot.

one more thing  you can try to do, before to ask for a motherborad replacement , is to enter in BIOS setup , F10 at power-on, go in Security Menu and check inside the menu Secure Platform Management (SPM) if

SPM Current state:   provisioned or unprovisioned

HP Sure Run: active or inactive

HP Sure Admin, enabled or disabled

if you are not using such tecnology you should pinf: unprovisioned , then inactive and disabled

if you still have Endpoint Security Controller error , for me it's an hardware failure but you have to call HP post-sales support again.

Auf Wiedersehen

HP Recommended

Hi,

I had all those settings disabled once.

Currently SPM is set to provisioned, Sure Run is active and Sure Admin/EBAM disabled (without any hint for enabling it) in Bios.

Olaf

HP Recommended

Hello Olaf_E

is this a computer managed by your-self. so you used HP CLient Security Manager to do "provisioning" and enabling "Sure Run" or it's managed by an IT Department ?

bye

HP Recommended

Fully managed by myself (although I only prepare it for another person, so this makes me the "IT department").

Provisioned with Client Security and Sure Run, nothing more than the obvious warnings like no fingerprints read, no face recorded etc. in the status of those programs.

It's really only this strange startup screen.

Olaf

HP Recommended

Olaf_E

it's up to you , if you want ot ry, if not already done:

Unprovision SPM , HP Sure Run will automatically disable.

Apply factory default.

Eventually reflash the BIOS to latest version.

if even after this action you still have an issue , for me is an hardware problem.

bye

HP Recommended

Well, final solution was replacement of the mainboard.

(The HP technician onsite tried also various things before finally replacing the hardware, but did not succeed either.)

Olaf

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.