Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ProBook 6470b
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Dear all,

These are my problems:

After 2 years using the laptop, I decided to format it and restart with the provided W7 professional original disk.

At same time I exchanged the original SATA HDD by a new SSD from Kingston.

After installing all drivers, it seems to work very good and much faster, but have two problems:

1- The Windows automatic update is not working. Only is looking for available updates, but it never ends, even >24h searching.

2- Before the reinstallation, my battery lasts for more than 5hours. Now only 2 or 2,5 hours.

Does anyone have ideas on how to solve my problems?

Thanks in advance.

Ernest

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey, glad it worked 🙂 

Did you have any success with the BIOS settings? Contacting HP support directly for this may be a good idea here.

Captain_WD. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi there 🙂 

What was your old HDD? What's the SSD's model number? SSDs usually require lower power compared to HDDs so it shouldn't be drawing more power from your battery compared to before. I would check all OS power settings as well as check the manual of the laptop for any power settings in the BIOS that could boost the battery life. 

Regarding the Os, make sure you have a good and stable internet connection and that you don't have other applications running on the laptop. Then leave it to completely update itself until everything is installed. This topic should be useful in your case. 

Captain_WD. 

HP Recommended

Dear Captain,

Your suggestion regarding the update is working perfectly. Now I get updates automatically.

Thanks for this.

Now I will check the BIOS energy configuration and let you know.

Regards from Barcelona.

Ernest

HP Recommended

Hey, glad it worked 🙂 

Did you have any success with the BIOS settings? Contacting HP support directly for this may be a good idea here.

Captain_WD. 

HP Recommended

Hi again Captain,

YES!!! it worked. After installing more than 150 updates, it was no needed to check the bios.

Probably some update was related to energy consumption and now I have again 6-7 hours battery duration.  🙂

You are a great expert.

Thank you very much!

Best regards.

Ernest

HP Recommended

Great to hear that! Thank you for the kind words! 🙂 

OS updates often improve dramatically the way a computer works so they should never be neglected when it comes to system optimization. 

Feel free to ask if there are any other questions! 

Captain_WD. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.