Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for that info, NO I will not mess wth the HP_Tools 'E' drive it's only 1.97GB anyway.

I have the System info (I have taken a photo of it) also I will contact the agent via me desktop PC. as you advised. I hope today Sunday. (If they are working)

Please tell me, if I wanted to install  a SSD how would I transfer the HP_Tools drive / folders onto that drive and would the system tools still work from the SSD??

Regards,

russ5265

HP Recommended

@russ5265 wrote:

I have the System info (I have taken a photo of it) also I will contact the agent via me desktop PC. as you advised.

Great. Smart idea.

@russ5265 wrote:

Please tell me, if I wanted to install  a SSD how would I transfer the HP_Tools drive / folders onto that drive and would the system tools still work from the SSD??

You don't necessary need this partition - it's not mandatory to keep it.

You can install the SSD as an only and primary drive

or you can install it as an additional drive with a disk caddy (instead of the DVD drive)

You can either perform clean Windows installation on this SSD drive or you can create an image of the existing drive and transfer it to the new SSD via Clonezilla software. Here is a Clonezilla tutorial >> http://www.geekyprojects.com/cloning/how-to-use-clonezilla-tutorial/

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for that information very much appreciated.

A little update I have just tried to contact an agent but no luck. Do they work Sundays?? Is there any point in posting the System info on the board in the hope that you could help??

Another question please the 4545s has a windows 8 sticker on the bottom of the case yet the installed OS was or is Windows 7 Pro would this be right?? or has the OS been changed?? As said I think the 4545s has been got at. This is not a major problem, but it would be nice to know what the original OS was.

Regards,

russ5265

HP Recommended

@russ5265 wrote:

A little update I have just tried to contact an agent but no luck. Do they work Sundays??

I don't know where you are located but for some countries they should work. If not, try tomorrow (Monday).

@russ5265 wrote:

Is there any point in posting the System info on the board in the hope that you could help??

No, there is absolutely no way for me to generate you the SMC.bin file.  If it was possible, I would have given it to you earlier 🙂

@russ5265 wrote:

Another question please the 4545s has a windows 8 sticker on the bottom of the case yet the installed OS was or is Windows 7 Pro would this be right?? or has the OS been changed?? As said I think the 4545s has been got at. This is not a major problem, but it would be nice to know what the original OS was.

Regards,

russ5265

I am not 100% sure  what the original OS was - it certainly has support for Windows 8. It might have been W8.

These series are CTO models (configure to order) and might come under different variants (different componets) as per what the user wants.

You can even install and use GNU/Linux on it.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for that info. INTERESTING.

I still have not managed to chat re the BIOS password yet. As far as I can see I am out of their working hours, so will try again on Monday and let you know what the situation it.

Many thank's for your support catch you when I have news.

Regards,

russ5265

HP Recommended

Hi All,

First thank you all for your input it is very very much appreciated.

The update as promised is that HP sent me the SMC.bin file no problem there.

But it just does not seem to want to reset the BIOS password.

So I am again hoping the Experts can help PLEASE. The story so far is as follows.

I have tried to clear the BIOS password using the USB method (FAT 32 format) this did not work. I did try and other memory stick, same result. If I do get to pressing F10 it would go straight to (User ID: BIOS Administrator>Enter Password, never at any time was I prompted to Rest to Factory default, always back to Admin password. Most times it will go straight to System information page. I only have 8GB USB memory sticks though.

Have I got the button sequence right?? Windows Key, UP Arrow, Down Arrow, press power button all at the same time and release P.Button. Never at any time did I see the SMC Command screen.

Can you PLEASE tell me what files/ folders I should be seeing on the USB memory if I did it right (I am seeing a SMC.BIN.bin file and SMC.bin.msg file on the USB drive.

What am I missing hear?? Help please.

russ5265

HP Recommended

Hi,

First thank you for your input it is very very much appreciated.

The update as promised is that HP sent me the SMC.bin file no problem there.

But it just does not seem to want to reset the BIOS password.

So I am again hoping the Experts can help PLEASE. The story so far is as follows.

I have tried to clear the BIOS password using the USB method (FAT 32 format) this did not work. I did try and other memory stick, same result. If I do get to pressing F10 it would go straight to (User ID: BIOS Administrator>Enter Password, never at any time was I prompted to Rest to Factory default, always back to Admin password. Most times it will go straight to System information page. I only have 8GB USB memory sticks though.

Have I got the button sequence right?? Windows Key, UP Arrow, Down Arrow, press power button all at the same time and release P.Button. Never at any time did I see the SMC Command screen.

Can you PLEASE tell me what files/ folders I should be seeing on the USB memory if I did it right (I am seeing a SMC.BIN.bin file and SMC.bin.msg file on the USB drive.

russ5265

HP Recommended

@russ5265 wrote:

russ5265

Hi,

It seems you have done it all.

During start-up keep pressing F9. Once it opens, let me know if the USB device is detected there.

Once again, double check that the USB used is formatted to FAT32 (not NTFS, not else)

Try to save the SMC.bin file to a blank USB pendrive and make sure there is nothing else on the USB drive - just the SMC.bin file

Shut down the notebook. Plugin the USB pendrive into any USB port. (If this notebook has both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports, use a USB 2.0 port., the USB 3.0 port usually has a blue bar near the entrance. USB 2 usually has no colour (dark).

NOW - do this smart and fast - press and hold the following three keys at the same time, subsequently:

(1) the Windows key (near alt) ,  keep holding and then add and hold (2) the Up-Arrow key, add and hold (3) and the Down-Arrow key

hold them and

Press ONCE and then release the power button

You will understand it worked - you should see a message or hear a sound.

Once you see a grey "SMC Command" screen, release the three keys mentioned above.

You should see something on your screen

Read the grey screen about "SMC Command":

a. If you see a message "SMC Command failure", contact HP support and attach photo of the F1 System Information
screen.

b. On the other hand, if you see no "SMC Command" message of any sort, try the above steps 3, 4, and 5 again.

If the above does not help, please contact HP Business support

Make sure you provide them with the correct F1 system information.

Let me know how it goes.

HP Recommended

Hi WinSec,

Thanks for that, I will let you know the results.

What I can tell you is that the USB drive is formatted in FAT 32 I have just checked that.

I will work on the rest today.

One point, I beleive that the SMC file is time sensitive am I right on that one?? so what happen when the SMC expires??

At the moment I am running through the HP Run in tests.

Speek to you later.

Thanks again for your input.

russ5265

HP Recommended

@russ5265 wrote:

One point, I beleive that the SMC file is time sensitive am I right on that one?? so what happen when the SMC expires??

Once it expires, you will need to contact HP support team again and request a new SMC.bin file

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.