Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Probook 4545s
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Product HP ProBook 4545s

OS Windows 7 64bit

Hi All,

When trying to access the BIOS on the HP Probook 4545s it is asking for a password.

The Probook is not used for business it was a gift (in well used condition).

Do I have to replace the BIOS chip to rectify the password problem or is there another way to find the password? I do have the Probook serial numbes etc.

I did read that HP Business Support are able to send a SMC.bin file

I am unable to use the phone to contact HP due to a speech problem so I am hoping some kind person might be able to help me to obtain the SMC.bin file.

Any HELP or advice would be very very much appreciated.

Regards,

russ5265

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi All,

Can someone please help??

I am unable to enter into the BIOS on my HP ProBook 4545s it keeps asking for a password, and after 3 attempts at passwords it locks me out.

How can I get a password or change the password so that I can enter the BIOS.

The ProBook was a gift and is not used for business any more.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated, thank you.

russ5265

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
HP Recommended

Hi All,

Can someone please help??

I am unable to enter into the BIOS on my HP ProBook 4545s it keeps asking for a password, and after 3 attempts at passwords it locks me out.

How can I get a password or change the password so that I can enter the BIOS.

The ProBook was a gift and is not used for business any more.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated, thank you.

russ5265

HP Recommended

Hi @russ5265

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for posting.

Note that I merged your 2 posts into a single thread here.

Most business class notebooks (including yours Elitebook and Probook) have better security. Password cannot be removed here in the forum - you have read correctly - you will have to contact HP Business Support for assistance on removing the password.

Here is how:

>> http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

>> https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

HP Business support should be able to send you a customised SMC.bin file and instructions which you can use  to reset the password. Note that assistance for such issues is usually free of charge for HP business class computers.

I did acknowledge your difficulties for contacting HP via phone. However, I wanted to let you know this can't be done here in the forum. You may also be able to contact HP Support via web chat >> Open this URL >> https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

and click on "Get started" red button.

Please, let me know if you managed to contact HP via chat and if you faced difficulties

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

@russ5265 

Once you receive the bin file, here are the necessary instructions you need to follow

Please make sure USB pendrive is formatted to FAT32 (not NTFS, not else)

Follow these steps to clear an unknown password for the BIOS administrator:

1. Save the attached SMC.bin file to a blank USB pendrive.
2. Shut down the notebook. Insert the USB pendrive into any USB port. (If this notebook has both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports, use a USB 2.0 port.)

3. Press and hold the following three keys at the same time:

the Windows key (near alt) , the Up-Arrow key, and the Down-Arrow key

4. Click one and release the power button

You will understand it worked

5. Once you see a grey "SMC Command" screen, release the three keys mentioned in step 3.

(Note: Steps 3, 4, and 5  signal the BIOS of this notebook to examine the USB ports and the HP_TOOLS partition for an SMC.bin file, and if it detects one, to run its command. This SMC.bin file contains the command to allow access into the BIOS as a BIOS administrator without supplying a password.)

You should see something on your screen

6. Read the grey screen about "SMC Command":

6a. If you see a message "SMC Command failure", contact HP support and attach photo of the F1 System Information
screen.

6b. On the other hand, if you see no "SMC Command" message of any sort, try steps 3, 4, and 5 again. You may also use a different brand and smaller capacity USB key. If that does not succeed, contact HP support. Pay attention to step 3 - press and hold the 3+1 button at the same time or very very fast one after another.

6c. If you see a message "SMC Command success", then the command has worked. Follow the on-screen instructions and restart the device. Begin tapping the F10 key (or the Esc key) like tap-tap-tap during start, so that the machine will go into the BIOS setup screen. (For this boot only, the machine should let you enter Setup without having to supply an administrator password. If the unit is restarted without performing the next step, the process will need to be ran again).

7. From the File screen in the BIOS, highlight and select the option to "Reset BIOS Security to factory defaults". (This will clear the old unknown password.) Follow the prompts, and restart the notebook when prompted. Reminder: if this notebook uses
BitLocker full disk encryption software, please choose to NOT reset the TPM! If it does not use BitLocker, you can also clear the TPM.

8. If you wish to set a new administrator BIOS password, you may do so on a future boot cycle by pressing F10 and setting a fresh BIOS admin password within the BIOS setup screen.
If there is any difficulty, particularly at steps 6a or 6b, contact HP support

If the above does not help, please contact HP Business support

Hope this helps. Please, mark the post as a solution if it helped.

Let me know how it goes.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for the support and the info I think I can follow that BUT my bigest problem is getting the SMC.bin file download.

How do I do this.

Again any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

russ5265

HP Recommended

You are most welcome, @russ5265

The file will be sent to you.

The procedure is:

- you contact them via call OR via chat

- Agent 1 agent collects the information needed (usually from BIOS F1)

- They will open you a ticket (please, save the info for your reference)

- After 2-3 business day you will receive an email instructions + the SMC.bin file itself attached

- the rest is already posted

HP Recommended

Thank you for that info it is very very much appreciated.

I will try the chat BUT not tonight and I will let you know how I get on.

I have to say the 4545s is in a bit of a state.

One of the partitions has HP_Tools on, one of the folders has, (BIOS, BIOSUpdate,SpareKey and SystemDiags) foldes in it.

The other File is HP_Tools.

Can you throw any light on this one??

russ5265

HP Recommended

Thank you for that,

A question please, you say the agent will collect the INFO from the BIOS. Will that be done automatically or will I have to input the relevent info??

The reason I ask is, the laptop is running in BREAD BOARD  mode because of the various problems. (it would not power up originally).

russ5265

HP Recommended

@russ5265 wrote:

One of the partitions has HP_Tools on, one of the folders has, (BIOS, BIOSUpdate,SpareKey and SystemDiags) foldes in it.

The other File is HP_Tools.

There have nothing to do with the BIOS pass-reset procedure.  Don't mess with them, please.

The purpose of the HP_Tools drive is to store all the files needed for system diagnostics. The HP_Tools drive is actually a partition on the main hard drive in your computer - not an actual, physical drive. It has much less available space than Drive (C).
HP Recommended

@russ5265 wrote:

you say the agent will collect the INFO from the BIOS. Will that be done automatically or will I have to input the relevent info??

You will need to provide it to the Agent by hitting Esc/F1 to open "System Information" submenu in the HP Startup menu. It may be a good idea if you contact HP from a different PC so that you can co-work on the Probook at the same time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.