Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

BIOS update 1.0.8 is available now.  See if that fixes it.  I am having the same issues as well.

HP Recommended

@mchooters wrote:

BIOS update 1.0.8 is available now.  See if that fixes it.  I am having the same issues as well.

Thank you for this information. I've updated BIOS. Let's see if the sound nightmare has been fixed.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I've got the same problem and sadly - I have the newest BIOS version (1.08) and this problem keeps comming back. I play a music on YouTube and after stopping or even only listening for a few minutes, the video stops and there is no sound anymore. After restarting, there is a red cross and no sound device available. It is connected to the graphics driver, so I know how to fix it by reinstaling graphics drivers from adapter options of Intel graphics card.
But I need a permanent solution! I'm going to New Zealand in 14 days, so there will be no fast internet and I need to work on my laptop! Please help! Expensive laptops like these cannot have those problems!!

(HP EliteBook 850 G4)

HP Recommended
Are any of you running Win 10 Creators update?
HP Recommended

This solution worked for my HP ProBook 450 G4 laptop:

"A problem with Conexant audio means that you may hear no sound in Windows 10 even though everything appears to be working correctly. While this is being investigated, Microsoft suggests running msconfig.exe and heading to the Boot tab. Click the Advanced options button, check the Maximum memory box and set the value to 3072."

HP Recommended

[Sorry for the repeated edits]

Yes. Fall Creators Edition (1709) on a Probook 450 G4, BIOS version 1.14, then 1.15A.

I have tried a variety of things, including uninstalling both the Intel and Conexant devices and their drivers (two different versions specified on the HP support site) and letting Microsoft reinstall and find the "best" drivers for both. At the moment, I have "Conexant ISST Audio" driver version 9.0.183.0 (1/8/2018) and "Intel(R) Display Audio" driver version 10.22.1.102 (7/17/2017), both directly from Microsoft auto-find and provided by Microsoft.

It's flaky on the HDMI (Intel) audio. Sometimes a speaker will work and sometimes not in successive tests of that speaker in the Control Panel/Sound configuration sequence. In general, when playing one audio source, stopping it, and then playing another, the second source and any subsequent one will be silent. This is true even when simply playing/stopping different albums or tracks in iTunes. HOWEVER, if I mute audio after stopping a source, and then unmute it, it will USUALLY work again.

I have not noticed a problem with the built-in spekers, but then I haven't spent  lot of time using them. No cockpit hours on headphones so far.

The internal microphone had also  stopped working after the above, including the mute button (fn F10), and including the disappearance of the microphone mute option on the right-click menu for the tray speaker icon. I resolved that by uninstalling "Conexant ISST Audio" in Control Panel/Pregrams and features, rebooting, and then, in Device Manager, re-installing the same drivers on the now unconfigured device via "Search automatically". The HDMI audio hiccups remain even after a BIOS update to v1.15A.

HP Recommended

I had a lot of problems with audio on my HP 430 G4, especially with headphones. When I paused music or video, the audio driver stopped working.

At the beginning of December 2017 I installed driver named "sp82074.exe" and I have not had problem with audio since then. You can find this driver on Google on HP FTP and try it. :Wink:

HP Recommended

Well. That was an adventure. I tried that Conexant driver package, which I had tried before, and ended up in a far worse state than when I started. I eventually uninstalled every single related device and its drivers and re-installed using "Search automatically". This might take several passes on some devices to remove multiple (older) driver versions. I would suggest checking (and installing/re-installing) in the order shown below, and reboot after each install or de-install. A trip or two through the troubleshooter may also be needed.

Here is the stack I've ended up with. Except for the BIOS, these are all retrieved from Microsoft. I've had no succes with any of the HP-supplied drivers.

Speaker and microphone muting and unmuting work. Built-in and HDMI speakers work, but HDMI only after a reboot. In iTunes, I can play an album and then play another album as long as I do not pause the first. If I pause, there is no way to get HDMI audio going again. Headphones and other apps I'll save for when this is all fully working.

[Update: No problems with built-in speaker or headphones with any application. The problem is only with HDMI (Intel Display Audio), which is installed along with the display adapter driver. So, it doesn't seem that Conexant drivers have anything to do with it. There is a newer pair of display/audio drivers on the Intel driver download site, but won't install because they "have not been qualified" on this system.]

YMMV

BIOS
v1.15A (sp85232.exe)

Display adapters:
Intel(R) HD Graphics 620 23.20.16.4877 12/1/2017

System devices:
Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) Audio Controller 9.21.0.3109 11/18/2017
Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) OED  9.21.0.3109 11/28/2017

Sound, video and game controllers:
Conexant ISST Audio 9.0.183.0 1/8/2018
Intel(R) Display Audio 10.24.0.1 10/26/2017

Audio inputs and ouputs:
Speaker (Conexent ISST Audio) 10.0.16299.15 9/28/2017
Internal Microphone (Conexent ISST Audio) [same driver and date]
[HDMI device] Intel(R) Display Audio [same driver and date]

HP Recommended

I am using a MSI laptop. whenever i play any videos the sound suddenly stops while the video still keeps playing. this has happened recently after I updated my laptop from windows 7 to windows 10. 

In one of the web sites they mentioned to delete the conexant driver and reinstall again, I did so but now I cannot reinstall as there is no driver. 

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hello.

This topic concerns a specific HP laptop model, so you probably won't get much help here with drivers for an MSI laptop.

The MSI driver download site is https://us.msi.com/support/download/ . I'd start there and download and  install the relevant driver(s) for the latest version of Windows supported on your laptop. Then reboot.

Afterwards, or if there is no driver on the MSI site, go into Windows Device Manager, scan for hardware changes, find the device(s) in the list (they may be under system devices, sound, video, and game controllers or it/they may be unknown devices). Right click on the device and update the driver, choosing "Search automatically". If it updates, reboot again.

Sorry. Best I can do.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.