Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15-bs542tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to upgrade hdd with SSD. Please advice as per model name.. which type of SSD can fit in my system ?? Recently I learnt SSD can resolve the slowness issue and anyway my current hdd is showing failure message and can stop working anytime. Please guide. Model HP Notebook 15-bs542tu. I3 processor 1tb hdd

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @Suhas89 

All HP 15-bsxxx notebooks that have the Intel 6th gen core processors or newer have M.2 slots that support SATA SSD's only, not NVMe.

You can find many posts regarding the 15-bs model series having M.2 slots.

The only ones that don't are those with the Pentium and Celeron processors.

See chapter 1 of the service manual for the supported drive types...

h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05493257.pdf

You can see the M.2 slot in this discussion regarding the same model as yours...

Solved: Ssd m2 upgrade for my hp - HP Support Community - 8145865

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Suhas89 

Its specs

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c05573915

You can replace existing 2.5" HDD with a 2.5" SSD using standard 2.5" SSD such as

https://www.samsung.com/au/memory-storage/sata-ssd/870-evo-4tb-sata-3-2-5-ssd-mz-77e4t0bw/    you can use 1TB or 2TB

Your machine MAY support M.2 SATA SSD, you have to open your machine to check. Documents are not clear abut this part.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I don't have capabilities to open it myself and don't want to pay to check it.. is there any alternative to it.. like help center and **bleep** number or any application which can give us the exact details

HP Recommended

@Suhas89 

Crucial information shows it does not have M.2 slot therefore you can use 2.5" SATA SSD as shown on my previous reply

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/hp-15-bs542tu#ssd

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi, @Suhas89 

All HP 15-bsxxx notebooks that have the Intel 6th gen core processors or newer have M.2 slots that support SATA SSD's only, not NVMe.

You can find many posts regarding the 15-bs model series having M.2 slots.

The only ones that don't are those with the Pentium and Celeron processors.

See chapter 1 of the service manual for the supported drive types...

h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05493257.pdf

You can see the M.2 slot in this discussion regarding the same model as yours...

Solved: Ssd m2 upgrade for my hp - HP Support Community - 8145865

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen 

Thanks. I read some posts elsewhere M.2 slot is a hit and miss on HP 15-bs5xx machines. I know for Intel Gen 7 and Gen 8 machines do have, but not 100% with Intel Gen 6 machines.

Did end user confirm the solution after that.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

No doubt the SATA M.2 drive worked because the slot is there.

We don't even know if the person bought one.

As you are aware, we rarely ever get feedback from folks that ask questions, after we provide answers.

There is zero difference in performance between buying a 2.5" SATA SSD or a M.2 SATA SSD of the same brand (for example WD Blue 500 GB 2.5" SATA vs. WD Blue 500 GB M.2 SATA).  The specs are exactly the same.

The only advantage that I see adding a M.2 SATA SSD is you can still use the 2.5" drive for storage, but in the case of this discussion, since the person's 2.5" drive is going out, there is no advantage to install a M.2 SATA SSD other than it being a few grams lighter than the 2.5" drive would be.

The 2.5" drive has to come out anyway.

HP Recommended

Thank You. It was helpful 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, @Suhas89 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.