Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ZBook 17 G5 Mobile Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone,

the following key combinations no longer work on my laptop (ZBook 17G5):
Ctrl+Alt+Del (very surprising!)

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S (Photoshop)
Ctrl+Shift+P (printing, but Strg+P works!)

fn+Shift (no LED)

All function keys actually work.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much.

Greetings,

Nils

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello.

Do they work with an external keyboard?

Does Ctrl and the other keys work in other situations?

Check the keyboard functionality in HP UEFI diagnostics keyboard test: restart your computer, pressing ESC when HP logo is shown and selecting F2 for diagnostics.  Select Component Tests and then Keyboard test. Follow the instructions to verify your keyboard buttons are all working.

CTRL-Alt-Del can be disable in Windows in many different ways. If you haven't explicitly done it, perhaps some (malicious) software is doing it, or your company admin has made the setting. Are you using a standard keyboard layout in Windows or are you using a software that remaps the keyboard keys?

Please note that Left Alt and Right Alt have different functions.

CTRL-P is the "universal" print shortcut. CTRL-SHIFT-P isn't - in Firefox it launches Private Browsing mode, or in Micros~1 Excel it edits the active cells, for example.

Fn+Left Shift should toggle the Fn led only if the "Launch hotkeys without fn keypress" setting is Auto. This is a BIOS setting found in Advanced/System Options. (start computer and press F10 when HP logo shown)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello.

Do they work with an external keyboard?

Does Ctrl and the other keys work in other situations?

Check the keyboard functionality in HP UEFI diagnostics keyboard test: restart your computer, pressing ESC when HP logo is shown and selecting F2 for diagnostics.  Select Component Tests and then Keyboard test. Follow the instructions to verify your keyboard buttons are all working.

CTRL-Alt-Del can be disable in Windows in many different ways. If you haven't explicitly done it, perhaps some (malicious) software is doing it, or your company admin has made the setting. Are you using a standard keyboard layout in Windows or are you using a software that remaps the keyboard keys?

Please note that Left Alt and Right Alt have different functions.

CTRL-P is the "universal" print shortcut. CTRL-SHIFT-P isn't - in Firefox it launches Private Browsing mode, or in Micros~1 Excel it edits the active cells, for example.

Fn+Left Shift should toggle the Fn led only if the "Launch hotkeys without fn keypress" setting is Auto. This is a BIOS setting found in Advanced/System Options. (start computer and press F10 when HP logo shown)

HP Recommended

Hello Jupitero,

thank you for your reply.

I have not yet been able to test another keyboard, but all the keys seem to work, except for the shortcuts (not in any programme/browser).

If I activate the snap-in (Sticky?) function (5x Shift), the key combinations work individually and one after the other. If I switch it off, nothing works (not even combinations with Ctrl+Shift).

A safe start also shows no change, nor does a clean restart.

The keyboard was uninstalled and recognised again, but no change either.

HP UEFI has my keyboard only similar, at most äöü< doesn't work (or I don't know how to test it), the rest works.

A new language was also added to Windows, swapped etc., but no change here either.

I use the normal notebook keyboard from the 17G5, no "remaps"(?).

The value is set to auto in the BIOS.

Do you have another idea or does anyone else have an idea?

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards,

Nils

HP Recommended

Hello Jupitero,

I have now been able to solve the problem, another USB keyboard had helped, so everything should be OK so far.

So, I unscrewed the notebook and checked whether the keyboard was wired correctly and that's exactly where the problem was - for whatever reason.

The cable only wanted to work in a certain position and after a bit of back and forth, everything works again. 🙂

Thanks for the information anyway.

Have a nice Sunday & best regards

Nils

(Translated with  DeepL Translator)

HP Recommended

I'm having an issue with my laptop keyboard, the number keys on top only some are working and the number keypad on the right, the down and right arrow are not working and randomly some of the character on my keyboard was not working but now working. No idea how it start reworking. The symbols keys on the on the top numbers do not all work. I tried pressing onto shift and selecting the symbol but only a couple work. When using an external keyboard it works fine and I've tried removing from device manager and re-installing but does not work. I've been spending hours trying to fix it and really can't afford to spend money on trying to find the problem. Really hoping someone can advise!

HP Recommended

Hello Naseeba,

Unless you have the exact same computer model with same problem, you should create a new message thread.

Please follow the same troubleshooting procedures, i.e. start with the UEFI keyboard test first to determine whether the keyboard has problems.

Thy symbol keys may require the Fn button being pressed at the same time.

If you want to continue this conversation, please include your laptop model in your next message.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.