Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Got the newest HP spectre (only 3 weeks old), as a treat for myself. Love the HP laptops from work because they are very performant and very silent!!! Have a spectre at work too and that one has definatelly a lot more to do than my at home and is bit more older, and the one at work is hardly audible. The fan of my new HP spectre at home is now (since last weekend) constantly working even though only MS Word and Firefox are working. The laptop is also absolutely cold, so there is no obvious need for the fan to work. Yet it keeps on working non-stop and even accelrates every now and then.

And yes I did make sure, that the air access to the fan is properly provided, there must not be any dust on the brand new laptop fan and the device has all the newest updates installed and no unnecessary programs do work in the background, so I'd be very thankful for any other smart ideas how to fix this annoing noise.

The thing is, that the fan is also unusually noisy compared to other devices from HP I have been using at work so far.

I hope this is not a special "feature" of the newest HP Spectre, I haven't read anything about that in my research before my purchase. 😞

Unfortunatelly the HP service is also not available for working people, since it can be only reached via telefone call on working days during quite limited working hours, so if I want to speak to the HP Service I have to take a day off from work, grrrrrr....

An extremly annoing and bad start for me and HP, with my private acquisition. 😕

Thanks for you help in advance.

Cheers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks to the friendly HP Support  :SocialCare: (luckily I am on vacation right now :Wink: ) we figured out, that some of my applications did cause a constant heavy workload of the graphic card in the background. Since Spectre seems to have only one fan for the CPU and the graphic gard, this was obiosly the root cause. Unfortunatelly one can not detect the application which causes the issue automatically. So I have gradually uninstallted the applications, which I installed before. After I have unistalled the IceCream Screen Recorder the constant fan wok stopped. Now my notebook is heavenly quite again. :OpenSmile: I hope this will not change.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Thanks to the friendly HP Support  :SocialCare: (luckily I am on vacation right now :Wink: ) we figured out, that some of my applications did cause a constant heavy workload of the graphic card in the background. Since Spectre seems to have only one fan for the CPU and the graphic gard, this was obiosly the root cause. Unfortunatelly one can not detect the application which causes the issue automatically. So I have gradually uninstallted the applications, which I installed before. After I have unistalled the IceCream Screen Recorder the constant fan wok stopped. Now my notebook is heavenly quite again. :OpenSmile: I hope this will not change.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.