Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Thunderbolt Dock 120W G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Thunderbolt Dock 120W G2 firmware update failed. version 1.0.71.1

It was offered by HP support assistance app. 

Now even if I run G2 firmware update outside of support assistance app, it fails to detect a thunderbolt controller and so cannot proceed with the update. The dock is still charging the laptop and USBs are working but display ports are not.

Anything I can do at this point?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It seems I managed to fix it by running manually 

SP136180\Firmware\Cypress\Dependency\System_Update.bat

from the dock update package.

After it finished successfully, I was able to run the thunderbolt update

SP136180\Firmware\Intel\ThunderboltUpdaterDevice.exe

and then the dock update package, which just ran and found nothing to be updated anymore. 

Still no idea why it failed in the first place.

What a mess. Seriously, HP, hire some professional QA.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello

which is your computer model ?

could you share a screenshot of what you see using HP Firmware Update tool ?

bye

HP Recommended

HP EliteBook 840 G8.

It seems the dock is not recognized as a thunderbolt device anymore. Even the Thunderbolt control center doesn't see it. There is no any thunderbolt security enabled and I tried my old Lenovo dock which works fine with the same laptop. So it is the dock problem. I am wondering how the official HP update can brick it that way, as I literally done nothing wrong - did not disconnect it during the update or else..

tdebug_1-1642069816802.png

HP Recommended

Hello

there was a similar issue with 840 G5

Solved: Thunderbolt Dock G2 - Cannot Update Thunderbolt Controller F... - HP Support Community - 818...

not sure it will work with 840 G8, if you wanna try.

bye

HP Recommended

No, it just gives this after installation

tdebug_0-1642077752897.png

HP Recommended

Hello

remove the Thunderbolt controller application that doesn't work .

I have an 840 G8 but with Windows 11.

The thunderbolt control center application is version 1.03.34.0, and controller driver is 1.41.1193.0

when I start HP TB Dock G2 firmware installer, it correctly detects package version 1.0.69.1 and let me update to 1.0.70.1.

so I started the update and it run fine. everything was updated.

what is not stardard , with your computer,  is that HP Firmware installer is not able to read the "displayPort Hub version"
Probably is not the update to latest firmware version the issue but something which prevent to read the information from docking

You can try to update to a version before 1.0,71, if you want to try.
example
https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp111501-112000/sp111940.exe 1.0.69.1
https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp101001-101500/sp101240.exe 1.0.62.1

bye

but I guess you will get the same error.
did you try to select the option "Force all" ?

Bye

HP Recommended

Yes it is the same error. "Force all" is grey out, not possible to select it. Before the update came in, the dock version was 1.0.69.1 and all worked just fine. I didn't even think that HP can release such an update, before I agreed to it..
Thunderbolt CC doesn't even recognize it as a thunderbolt device anymore, but it still charges the laptop and also USB and ethernet work.
If I run dock thunderbolt firmware update standalone, it won't proceed because it cannot see a thunderbolt device. If it is easy to corrupt the thunderbolt firmware (literally by doing nothing), why can't it include some kind of fail-safe. Oh well..

tdebug_0-1642082267342.png

HP Recommended

It seems I managed to fix it by running manually 

SP136180\Firmware\Cypress\Dependency\System_Update.bat

from the dock update package.

After it finished successfully, I was able to run the thunderbolt update

SP136180\Firmware\Intel\ThunderboltUpdaterDevice.exe

and then the dock update package, which just ran and found nothing to be updated anymore. 

Still no idea why it failed in the first place.

What a mess. Seriously, HP, hire some professional QA.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your feedback about how you solved it for sure can be useful for other people too.

I used the same approach a couple of years ago with another Docking.

I guess that there are too many variables and HP Engineers not always find the same issues  happening at thousands users.

Bye

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.