Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pro X2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My employer recently replaced my Dell laptop with a Pro X2 but has left the other parts of my workstation in tact, i.e. 27" Displayport monitor, mouse, keyboard etc and all this is plugged into a Dell USB-C port replicator (USB-C dock).

The USB-C output output of the Dell  dock won't charge my HP X2 so I have to use the USB3 socket on the laptop and Dell dock to ensure it's has access to the external monitor/keyboard/ mouse etc and the HP USB-C charger to charge the tablet.

What I'd like to do is use the USB-C on the Dell dock to do everything like It did with the Dell laptop. I thought USB-C was meant to be a common standard so it would just work but it doesn't. Is there an adapter or does the community know of a solution to this?

Thanks

Martyn

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello

USB-C can provide several power output.

according to the X2 612 G2 Quci specs, https://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c05373376 , the power supply of this product can delivers 5V / 9V / 10V /12V / 15V / 20V. Only 12V ,15V and 20V at 45W.

What is not written is which voltage level is required by the X2 612 G2 between 12, 15 and 20V.

if X2 612 G2 (for example) works at 15V and the DELL USB-C Docking is able to provide  (for example) 45W at 20V , it will never work,

even if f X2 612 G2 (for example) works at 20V and the DELL USB-C Docking is able to provide  (for example) 45W at 15V , it will never work.

So the voltage provided by the DELL USB-C Connector must match the voltage required by the X2 612 G2.

USB-C protocols lets the X2 612 G2 and DELL Dock to have an information exchange in order to find a common voltage but if it doesn't exit, there is no way to charge the X2 612 G2 using the DELL Docking.

Unfortunately I don't know the Voltage required by X2 612 G2 neither the Voltage provided by the DELL docking.

I assume that the Power Level (at least 45W) are provided by DELL Dock as you were already using a Dell notebook.

bye

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.