Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ZBook Power 15.6 inch G8 Mobile Workstation PC (33D92AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My brand new ZBook Power 15.6 inch G8 Mobile Workstation PC (33D92AV) does not charge when connected to a brand new  HP E243m monitor or a HP E243d docking monitor via USB-C.

BIOS is already up to date, I have updated the firmware on the monitors and tried updating all the laptop software via DriverBooster and I have checked the settings in the BIOS.

When I connect my Dell laptop to either monitor, it charges fine over USB-C so think the issue lies with the laptop. Any ideas? From what I can find online, it seems other people have resolved this issue by updating the BIOS but there is no newer update currently than what it shipped with.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I have tried using a different ZBook Power 15.6 inch G8 Mobile Workstation PC (33D92AV) and get the same result. I have tried using a Dell USB-C power adapter and the laptop does not charge whilst powered on but does give an amber light when switched off so I think it does charge whilst turned off.

HP Recommended

I've just noticed that a notification pops up saying that HP recommends I use a HP branded charger, followed by another pop-up saying that the USB-C power input (65W) isn't high enough. I would have thought it would still work somewhat surely as my Dell XPS will take a lower rated power input and just warns that it will charge slowly?

HP Recommended

@flyingflea 

Your machine requires

• 150 watt AC adapter HP Smart (PFC, 4.5 mm, slim barrel)  OR
  • 120 watt AC Adapter HP Smart (PFC, 4.5 mm, slim barrel)

What is your dock ? You say it has 65W out, no way it can charge your machine. HP has following Docks

https://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04168358

Please check the last few pages to get compatible docks for your machine.

Note: Yes, it can run with lower wattage docks, in this case at least 90W but they only charge your machine when doing nothing or off.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

It's a HP docking monitor as per my original post, output 65W via USB-C but using the AC adapter output it seems to charge the laptop.

So would a monitor with a 90W USB-C output charge the laptop in an idle state? I'm about to purchase 60 units and would like to make sure they're compatible.

HP Recommended

Zbook are never charged via USB-C , but they take the charge for mburrel connecotor.

Even when you ha a Thunderbol DOck G2 with 230W PS, for docking to Zoook the power is provided by barrel connector.

USB-C Connector of the docking are not able to provide enough power to Zbook.

bye

HP Recommended

That's not true. I have purchased a Dell U2421E docking monitor and it charges the Zbook laptop just fine over USB-C and it's only a 90W output. Annoyingly the video does not output via USB-C though which I'm still trying to figure out but it does at least output via HDMI.

HP Recommended

Hello

The reason for which HP provide a docking for 230W is because a Zbook could require more than 90W , depending on computer configuration (CPU,RAM, Graphics card) and prcocessing power required by the software in use.

So if you do not use the Zbook at his maximum processing power , USB-C charge could be enough.

When you stress the hardware even the 90W of DELL Docking can't be even enough.

I don't have a Zook , so I  can't try if using a 65W USB-C power input can charge or not the zbook. it could be in case the Zbook is off.

bye

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.