Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ZBook Studio G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just got this machine and tried my external HDD using USB-C on the laptop with the machine also connected to the Thunderbolt Dock.  Laptop does not see the external drive at all.

Much faffing about i get the laptop to see the HDD with the Dock unplugged. Plug the Dock in, the HDD disappears.

Plug any external device into the Dock, i don't see it. tried USB thumb drive, USB-C connected HDD, keyboard. Nothing.

Is it the Dock killing the system? it throughputs the monitor and power ok. but nothing else seems to work 

Is there something I'm missing? 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I would first make sure the BIOS and drivers are updated (Use HP Image Assistant). Make sure the TB dock has firmware up to date as well. Then, i would check the BIOS for the Thunderbolt setting... It could be one of

* PCIe and DisplayPort – No Security

* PCIe and DisplayPort – User Authorization

* PCIe and DisplayPort – Secure Connect

* DisplayPort only

Depending on the setting, you may need to have the latest version of the Intel Secure Connect utility (unless No Security was selected). If so, run the utility and see if it recognizes the dock. I would try changing the BIOS setting to No Security and User Authorization and redocking, and see if it helps

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

yep, after some digging found the pointer to the BIOS and set it to the one with Low Power Mode, spent some hours downloading and installing various updates for both the laptop and the dock and finally got it working.

Why, oh why, do HP ship these with BIOS settings that people then have to go and change. Its their laptop and dock and they don't work together out of the box? Hilarious 😞

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.