Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
elitebook 840 G6 6XD42EA#AKD
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My model is equipped with 2 standard USB ports. 

Since i'm mostly working with hp ultraslim dock, I was unable to spot that earlier, but a few days ago w noticed problem with USB ports while notebook is working without power adapter plugged in.

Both standard ports keep connecting and disconnecting devices plugged in, white notebook is powered only with battery.

What is interesting, there seems to be no problem with drivers, while it happens.

Testing:

• I have Logitech unifying adapter plugged in the right USB port.
  • I have 16GB pen-drive plugged in the left USB port.

AC POWER MODE with HP:

When ac adapter (or docking station) is plugged in - everything is fine. Trackball works without pauses.

Copying 15GB of test files goes without interruption.

BATTERY MODE with HP:

When external power source is disconnected - trackball is being constantly "discovered' by system only to be "dropped" in a few seconds (just like i would connect and disconnect Logitech adapter every few seconds)
Copying 15GB of test files gets randomly interrupted (mostly at the beginning, after 1-2GB of files being copied) and the pen-drive is being disconnected and connected again.

AC POWER MODE with ThinkPad & Dell G5 (same adapter and pen-drive):

When ac adapter is plugged in - everything is fine. Trackball works without pauses.

BATTERY MODE with ThinkPad & Dell G5 (same adapter and pen-drive):

While in battery mode - everything is fine. Trackball works without pauses.

Conclusion:

There is no problem with peripherals apparently (tested on HP, ThinkPad, Dell G5)

Both ThinkPad E550 and Dell G5 works flawlessly with them.

Problem is only visible while I'm working with HP.

Anyone is having any idea what is this problem related to? 

I've stumbled upon similar problem, but both in battery mode & while power plug is on. This issue is only taking place while notebook is powered with battery.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello

as usual the first thing to do is check if everything is updated , BIOS included, using HP Image Assistant.

bye

HP Recommended

@TryToDoMybest wrote:

Hello

as usual the first thing to do is check if everything is updated , BIOS included, using HP Image Assistant.

bye

That was the first thing I checked. Everything is up to date, bios, drivers, hp software, windows.
I suspected windows at first - since last updates were really problematic for some company notebooks we are using - broken dhcp, broken audio, some problems with data loss, etc., but it seems to be something else.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.