Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
USB a/c Universal Dock G2
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I have bought a Universal Dock G2 to connect to my MacBook Pro 13-inch 2020 (OS Catalina)

The dock is recognised by the MacBook as I can display on an external monitor with HDMI and use USB-a ports. However the dock does not charge the MacBook. The message are "Battery is not charging" & "Power Source : Power Adapter".

I have upgraded the firmware to release 1.1.9.0 with Windows 10 PC.

How can I resolve that issue ?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

I have exactly the same issue. Did you solve it? HP support told me there's nothing wrong with the dock and to check the issue with Apple support 😞

HP Recommended

I spoke with HP support and got the same result.

If the dock is on firmware versions 1.1.7.0, 1.1.8.0, or 1.1.9.0, you may be able to get it to charge by using your regular macbook charger to "jump-start the charging", if you will. Plug the charger in while the dock is plugged in until it shows that it is being charged, then unplug the power adapter and the dock will continue charging. It's not the greatest fix.

Downgrading the dock to firmware version 1.1.2.0 will allow the dock to charge normally. However, my experience with downgrading was that the 1.1.2.0 installer would not see the dock (no matter what ver .7, .8, .9). I found a way to downgrade and would be happy to share if needed

HP Recommended

Thanks! Please do share the trick to downgrade it. My experience is the same - installer for ver. 1.1.2.0 doesn't recognise the dock. I appreciate your help!

HP Recommended

I also have this exact issue, with the Macbook 16" 2019. Upgraded to 1.1.9.0 in Win 10, and yet no charing even though the Mac seems to recognize a charger being connected.

Also interested in the downgrade trick, and also if any other issues has occured due to the downgrade?

HP Recommended

Step 1) Download the  installer for both 1.1.7.0 and 1.1.2.0 and unzip them

Step 2) Copy the "Firmware" folder from the 1.1.2.0 directory to the 1.1.7.0 directory - overwriting the Firmware folder in the 1.1.7.0 directory with the contents from 1.1.2.0

Step 3) Launch HPFirmwareInstaller.exe from the 1.1.7.0 directory and follow the regular steps to downgrade the dock firmware

I've tried this multiple times and has been successful. A couple months of being on the 1.1.2.0 firmware through various Catalina updates with no issues. Still charging just fine

HP Recommended

Awesome! Thank you so much! I followed your steps and it works perfectly for me on Catalina 10.15 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.