cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
Mecheng1
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Upgrade my SSD

HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I own an Elitebook 840 G1 that is running on Windows 10 Pro (Fully Updated). I want to improve the speed and operation of the laptop overall. Can I replace the current SSD with a Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III SSD according to the HP manual the max supported is 256 Gb but that was running Windows 8 as part of this upgrade I will also be installing more RAM to the maximum of 16 Gb.

2 REPLIES 2
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
137,757 92,419 21,250 28,538
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

The drive capacities listed in the manual are just what HP offered in the model series.

You can install the 2.5" MX500 and upgrade the memory to 16 GB.

I have an alternative suggestion for a slightly better performing SSD...it is just slightly more expensive than the Crucial one.

In the USA, this drive has a 5 year warranty.  Hopefully it is the same in the UK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-WDS500G2B0A-Blue-Internal/dp/B073SBZ8YH/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1...

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
OwnedTBH
Level 1
7 7 1 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, you will not feel a big diffrence, if any with a new SSD.

What your Problem is, is DDR3 and an old CPU.

You might want to upgrade your Laptop.

Otherwise a fresh install will help you for a while.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation