Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G1
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have seen noted elsewhere that 3D Drive Gaurd is not required for use with an SSD.  I have just done a clean install of Win 7 PRO and choose not to install this driver, however Device Manager reports this as an Unkown Device (HPQ6007).

• It appears in Task Manger (on another machine) as AccelerometerSt.exe and consumes 984K when running. 
  • It's located in dev mgr under System Devices => HP Mobile Data Protection Sensor with no option to disable it.

Unclear if its better to live with an unknow device in dev mgr or install the driver which in effect will not be used but runs? 

I expect this should generate an error in some system log but not seeing anything.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

What I did on all of my HP notebooks with SSD's is this:

Install the free 7-zip file utility.  The 2nd link at the top of the page is for 64 bit.

https://www.7-zip.org/

Then download and save but do not run the W7 3D driveguard driver.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp77501-78000/sp77869.exe

After you saved the file, right click on it, and select 7-Zip from the list of items on the menu.

Have 7-Zip Extract to:  and let it extract the file into its folder name (sp77869).

Once that is done, go to the device manager.  Click on the unknown 3D driveguard device.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.   Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder that 7-Zip created.  Make sure the include subfolders box is checked and the driver should install.

This method should just install the device but not the software controls.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

What I did on all of my HP notebooks with SSD's is this:

Install the free 7-zip file utility.  The 2nd link at the top of the page is for 64 bit.

https://www.7-zip.org/

Then download and save but do not run the W7 3D driveguard driver.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp77501-78000/sp77869.exe

After you saved the file, right click on it, and select 7-Zip from the list of items on the menu.

Have 7-Zip Extract to:  and let it extract the file into its folder name (sp77869).

Once that is done, go to the device manager.  Click on the unknown 3D driveguard device.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.   Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder that 7-Zip created.  Make sure the include subfolders box is checked and the driver should install.

This method should just install the device but not the software controls.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick reply

I have uninstalled the 3D Drive Gaurd from Programs and Features on my laptop and the AccelerometerSt.exe is no longer present in Task Manager, but the driver is still present in Device Manager, so I think this should work. 

I am wondering if I can use this approach for some other items that never really get used like:

• Intel Rapid Storage Technology
  • Intel HD Graphics
  • Intel Smart Connnect Technology (Set to off) => I have actualy disabled this in BIOS on the new machine
  • Other?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You don't need the RST software if you don't plan on installing two hard drives and running the notebook with the drive controller set to RAID.

But you do want the drive controller driver that the RST software installs.

So, you can try unistalling the software, and hopefully, it will leave the storage controller driver intact.

If not, you can use the same approach I wrote about above, but do it with the RST exe driver file from the support page and browse to it from the sata controller in the device manager.  If your notebook's drive controller is set to AHCI the drive controller will be under the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers device manager category.   If the driver was removed, it would probably be listed as a Standard AHCI Controller or something like that.  If the RST driver remains, the controller would be described as an Intel 'so and so' SATA AHCI Controller.

Graphics... I think if you uninstall the Intel graphics software in the windows control panel, it will also uninstall the driver.  Of course, you could again use the same method to manually install the graphics driver from the support page, and it may only install the driver and not any of the software controls.

Don't know enough about the smart connect software to give you a recommendation.

HP Recommended

Any knowledge regarding the Intel Management Engine Components Driver (SP79059).   It installs "Intel Management and Security Status" and the PrivacyIconClient.exe (~5kb in device manager) which include the AMT and AT parts, again not relevant here (or for many for that matter)..  The driver (package?) is needed to install the firmware  Intel Management Engine (ME) Firmware Component (SP90249).

HP Recommended

You can manually install the IMEI device and PCI serial Port by manually installing sp79059 using the 3D driveguard driver installation method I posted, and not have the software.

sp90249 is supposed to patch some security flaw within the IMEI firmware.

It is not a driver, or driver update per se.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp90001-90500/sp90249.html

ENHANCEMENTS:
- Provides the security update.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.