Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteBook 840 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hiya 🙂

I have some questions relating to warranties:

1. I purchased a second hand (only 3 month old) machine from eBay. The HP support application I have installed tells me I have 2 years and 9 months warranty left (all good!). Does this warranty still apply to me even though I bought the machine second hand?

2. If I wanted to EXTEND the warranty even further, could I purchased the 3 year extension or do I already have the max amount of warranty?

3. I was offered to be reminded closer to the expiration date of my current warranty regarding the 3 year extension. Does this mean I could buy the 3 year extension in 2 years and 8 months time or is there a limit to when I need to buy the warranty?

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@erico wrote:

In order to take advantage of the warranty in a warranty transfer situation, you will need to have the purchase receipt. Hopefully, the former owner can provide that to you.

Warranty information.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01268315

That is the best I can do for you.

You would be better served by contacting HP directly to ask your warranty questions.

Your question is, generally speaking, beyond the intended scope of the global suport forum,

Thanks for the reply! I took your advice and contacted HP directly. They told me that the warranty is valid even though I bought the machine second hand and that I don't need the original receipt.

They also said I have an extended 3 year warranty but CAN buy a further 3 year warranty extension!! And that I can do this at any time before my current extended warranty expires.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

In order to take advantage of the warranty in a warranty transfer situation, you will need to have the purchase receipt. Hopefully, the former owner can provide that to you.

Warranty information.

You would be better served by contacting HP directly to ask your warranty questions.

Your question is, generally speaking, beyond the intended scope of the global suport forum,

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

@erico wrote:

Warranty information.

Thanks for the reply! I took your advice and contacted HP directly. They told me that the warranty is valid even though I bought the machine second hand and that I don't need the original receipt.

They also said I have an extended 3 year warranty but CAN buy a further 3 year warranty extension!! And that I can do this at any time before my current extended warranty expires.

HP Recommended

OK.

Excellent!

Now we both know and others who read this will know as well.

Sounds like your warranty question issue has been resolved.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

@erico wrote:

OK.

Excellent!

Now we both know and others who read this will know as well.

Sounds like your warranty question issue has been resolvedYep

Yep indeed! Which is why I wanted to post back, so that this thread contained the accurate info straight from the source.

Thanks again for your replies 🙂

HP Recommended

Hello! I bought a second-hand laptop which is the HP Spectre X360 late 2017 model from eBay (USA) and ship to Qatar. The laptop is still under warranty. So, when I noticed the screen that there are some white bright spots and fan noise, I brought it to HP Service in Qatar. It was diagnosed that it has a dead pixel on the screen and defective fan and their advice is to replace the screen and fan. Since it is under warranty they took my laptop and after few days they asked me about the proof of purchase, so I gave them a copy from eBay, sadly they won't accept the invoice because it has no. serial no. indicated. and they need the original invoice from the 1st owner which is lost already. Now, they are asking me around 560 USD for the replacement of defective parts. Is this rule valid only on the USA?  Here in the Middle East, they won't accept the invoice from eBay, they need the original one. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.