Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z840 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Please, I want to upgrade the CPU for my Z840.

I've googled and found Intel Xeon 2600 series v4 is the highest series I may use.

I've checked the intel Xeon website here:

Intel® Xeon® Processor E5 v4 Family 

Then I sorted it by Total Cores.

I've found 4 CPUs with 22 core as follow:

So, please may you help me and tell me which one to buy?

I will buy 2 CPUs for my z840 from the eBay website.

I hope you may give me a direct clear answer as I am googling for a while and cannot make up my mind about the best option.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello @mgbsher 

Good news, see (2😊

(1)  - Not updated by HP - !

From the:

HP Z440, Z640, and Z840 Workstation Series - Maintenance and Service Guide

The specification is telling you:

Page 20 Chapter 1 Hardware overview

Intel Series C612 chipset:

● Support for the Intel Xeon Processor E5-2600 Series, including processors up to 150 W

ub6424_0-1656537577899.png

(2) Latest BIOS

HP Z440/Z640/Z840 Workstation System BIOS

02.59 Rev.A21.5 MBMay 5, 2022Download

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-z840-workstation/6978842/swItemId/vc-2...

Since: BIOS Version: 02.58 Rev.A

- Updates Intel processor microcode to 0x49 for Xeon E5 v3 processors and 0x40 for Xeon E5 v4 processors.

best regards

---

Dear Community Member, please click the button [ YES ] on "Was this reply helpful?" to say Thanks and

make it easier for other people to find this type of solution by marking the reply ▶️ [ Accept as Solution ] ◀️

Do this on the post I wrote that helped solve it.

Thank you very much

⌨️

HP Recommended

@mgbsher,

Welcome to our HP User Forum!

Looking at real-life actual HP Z840 Workstation super Users, of the three E5-2699 options you mentioned, only the Xeon E5-2699 v4 was fitted in any of the almost 2,200 Z840 rigs as seen here: UserBenchmark: HP Z840 Workstation Compatible Components.  No Xeon E5-4669 v4 showed up at all.

Given this many Z840 entries -and mind you, many of these rigs are fitted with the best and most powerful graphics cards money can buy -such as the RTX A6000, the RTX 3090 and the RTX 3080-Ti, this would strongly suggest to me that perhaps the other two E5-2699 options and the Xeon E5-4669 v4 may either not be compatible, very difficult to obtain, or, more likely, do not outperform the E5-2699 v4 as per Intel Xeon E5 CPU list 2022 (cpu-monkey.com).

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot.

So I can order this regular one from eBay like this one:

Intel Xeon E5-2699 v4 QS QK7J QK10 22C 2.2GHz 55MB 145W LGA2011-3 DDR4-2400 

I will order 2 items.

Also, I've read that these processors need a good cooling system so I've googled and found this one:

HP Z Cooler N3R54AA Z840 Heatsink 

So what are your recommendations?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hello @mgbsher 

Your order is good, go for it.

Please report your results

best regards

---

Dear Community Member, please click the button [ YES ] on "Was this reply helpful?" to say Thanks and

make it easier for other people to find this type of solution by marking the reply ▶️ [ Accept as Solution ] ◀️

Do this on the post I wrote that helped solve it.

Thank you very much

⌨️

HP Recommended

Please, if I may ask for another thing so I thought to ask here instead of starting a new thread.

When I explore the various PDFs files for the Z840 workstations, I've found many illustrations or diagrams for the machine like the following one:

2022-06-30 14 53 27.png

May I add a hard drive in pays marked number 2 in the image above?

Will it be an SSD or 2.5 or 3.5 size?

Also, what would be the best connection point for it?

Thanks

HP Recommended

@mgbsher,

Please watch this short & sweet YouTube instructional video clip where your questions are being addressed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJTKzALHLVA.

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Hi, my friend,

Thanks for your interest in helping me.

Please, I am afraid that I am not talking about the main hard drives.

SharedScreenshot.jpg

The video refers to the hard drive pays that are at the bottom as shown in the image above.

I did use these 4 pays hard drives trays as fine but I want to add more hard drives so I thought about using the empty area surrounded by the red line in the image.

SharedScreenshot1.jpg

The place I am talking about and referring to is the place surrounded by the red line color,  I am talking about the place under the slim optical drive.

As you see in the image it is the place surrounded by the red line.

I hope that I was able to clear my point.

Thanks a lot for your valuable time helping me.

Thanks

HP Recommended

@mgbsher,

Yes indeed -here you go (including links to parts you may need), starting at timestamp 08:27: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQU90wCCpSc.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

that is it.

Thanks a lot.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.