Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ZBook 17 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm conducting some Windows 10 upgrades from version 1709 to version 1803.

In this recent group, there are a number of HP ZBook 17 G3 that are having issues with the upgrade. 

I ran the latest SetupDiag from Microsoft and getting the below error:

HP ZBook 17 G3, Win 10 v1709 to 1803, DeviceInstallHangHP ZBook 17 G3, Win 10 v1709 to 1803, DeviceInstallHang

I check the HP Support website for HP ZBook17 G3 and its showing driver version 10.1.1.40 being the latest. 

Is anyone else seeing this issue? If so, what was your remediation steps?

Your help is much appreciated.  

Very Respectfully,

TheLegend317

Very Respectfully,

TheLegend317
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

After consulting with our HP Technical Consultant we have found the solution. 

Recap: HP ZBook 17 G3 machine connected to an HP Thunderbolt 230W G2 gets stuck at 44% when trying to upgrade the machine from Win 10 v1709 to Win 10 v1803. 

The solution: you need to install sp92028.exe > reboot machine > sp92196.exe > reboot machine > run 1803 upgrade. 

That fixed the issue. 

Very Respectfully,

TheLegend317

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

Did you try the latest chipset installation utility directly from Intel?

Version: 10.1.17 (Latest)     Date: 8/24/2018

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28182/Chipset-INF-Utility?product=1145

HP Recommended

Hello @Paul_Tikkanen,

I have not. I'll give that a try. 

Very Respectfully,

TheLegend317
HP Recommended

i would recommend you do all needed BIOS and driver updates using HP Image Assistant (www.hp.com/go/clientmanagement) PRIOR to updating to the new version of Windows 10

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Looks to be related to the HP Zbook 17 G3 docks we have.

Very Respectfully,

TheLegend317
HP Recommended

So, I open a HP Case number.

After talking with HP Support, I reloaded the latest chipset drivers for the HP ZBook 17 G3. Tried the 1803 upgrade again and it failed/stuck at 44%. Still the same driver hang:

HP ZBook 17 G3, Win 10 v1709 to 1803, DeviceInstallHangHP ZBook 17 G3, Win 10 v1709 to 1803, DeviceInstallHang

So, the next time attempt, I un-dock the machine from the HP Thunderbolt Dock 230W G2. Tried the 1803 upgrade again and it was successful.

Sounds like there is a issue with that chipset driver and the HP Thunderbolt Dock 230W G2 when upgrading a machine from 1709 to 1803.

The HP Support tech, did talk with Level 2 and explain that they have something in with Microsoft for them to fix. I'm assuming it was related to my issue, but couldn't give me more information.

Hopefully this information is helpful to everyone!

Very Respectfully,

TheLegend317
HP Recommended

After consulting with our HP Technical Consultant we have found the solution. 

Recap: HP ZBook 17 G3 machine connected to an HP Thunderbolt 230W G2 gets stuck at 44% when trying to upgrade the machine from Win 10 v1709 to Win 10 v1803. 

The solution: you need to install sp92028.exe > reboot machine > sp92196.exe > reboot machine > run 1803 upgrade. 

That fixed the issue. 

Very Respectfully,

TheLegend317
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.