Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ZBook 15 G1 Mobile Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased a used ZBook 15 product number: D5H42AV. I knew in advance the Bios was locked, and no password was given. The computer will boot, and works properly. I installed the HP Support Assistant for current updates. There is a Bios update available, however the bios is locked, and will not update without a passwoed. After reading this forum, I understand I need to speak with HP Support for a bin file to unlock the bios. I have tried several times calling, but there is a long wait time to speak to a Rep. 

Is there any other way to get the bin file without waiting on hold to speak to someone?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Welcome to the forum @driver944

Sorry no one on the forum can help with the SMC.bin file you need.

Only HP can provide it for your model.

REO

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Welcome to the forum @driver944

Sorry no one on the forum can help with the SMC.bin file you need.

Only HP can provide it for your model.

REO

HP Recommended

I will leave this information for anyone with the same problem. If you are out of warranty (like me), have your credit card in hand, there is a 39.00 charge for this. Here is the phone number - (800) 334-5144.

It took 4 calls at various times of the day to HP Support before I was able to speak to someone. The last time I called, I waited on hold 15 minutes. Calling after 6 PM seemed to work best. Total time on the phone, including hold, was 40 minutes.

I spoke with Tom. He was very professional, knowledgeable and polite. He spoke perfect english. I told Tom I needed a SMC.bin file, he knew right away what I needed. I gave him my contact information and phone number.

He asked for the serial number, asked me to re-boot the computer holding down F1. There is information he needed from that screen for the file.

15 minutes after the phone call ended, I received a email with the SMC file. I used a 8gb USB drive without any problems.

I had to use a USB 2.0 port for this file. 3.0 didn't work.

Part of the directions sent with the file -

• PLEASE MAKE SURE DATE AND TIME IS SET CORRECTLY BEFORE RUNNING THIS TOOL
• Please make sure USB key is formatted to FAT 32 and preferably on a blank drive
• Save the attached file with this e-mail to the root of the USB key as SMC.BIN and insert to the system (or save the file to the root of drive 😧 HP_TOOLS)
• Press (Windows Key + Arrow UP Key + Arrow Down Key) all keys at same time and turn on the system
• Release all keys and press F10 at HP logo to go to F10 setup
• Select the first menu's option to (Reset BIOS security to factory default)

The good news - it worked

The bad news - cost me 39.00

To me, a investment of time and money was worth it for the latset BIOS update. It has the latest security updates, and I will be able to get future updates as they become available.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.