cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
driver944
2 1 0 1
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Solved!

ZBook 15 G1 bios locked

HP Recommended
HP ZBook 15 G1 Mobile Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased a used ZBook 15 product number: D5H42AV. I knew in advance the Bios was locked, and no password was given. The computer will boot, and works properly. I installed the HP Support Assistant for current updates. There is a Bios update available, however the bios is locked, and will not update without a passwoed. After reading this forum, I understand I need to speak with HP Support for a bin file to unlock the bios. I have tried several times calling, but there is a long wait time to speak to a Rep. 

Is there any other way to get the bin file without waiting on hold to speak to someone?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
REO51ST
Level 16
25,082 10,432 3,569 8,393
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Welcome to the forum @driver944

Sorry no one on the forum can help with the SMC.bin file you need.

Only HP can provide it for your model.

REO

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
2 REPLIES 2
REO51ST
Level 16
25,082 10,432 3,569 8,393
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Welcome to the forum @driver944

Sorry no one on the forum can help with the SMC.bin file you need.

Only HP can provide it for your model.

REO

driver944
Author
2 1 0 1
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I will leave this information for anyone with the same problem. If you are out of warranty (like me), have your credit card in hand, there is a 39.00 charge for this. Here is the phone number - (800) 334-5144.

It took 4 calls at various times of the day to HP Support before I was able to speak to someone. The last time I called, I waited on hold 15 minutes. Calling after 6 PM seemed to work best. Total time on the phone, including hold, was 40 minutes.

I spoke with Tom. He was very professional, knowledgeable and polite. He spoke perfect english. I told Tom I needed a SMC.bin file, he knew right away what I needed. I gave him my contact information and phone number.

He asked for the serial number, asked me to re-boot the computer holding down F1. There is information he needed from that screen for the file.

15 minutes after the phone call ended, I received a email with the SMC file. I used a 8gb USB drive without any problems.

I had to use a USB 2.0 port for this file. 3.0 didn't work.

Part of the directions sent with the file -

• PLEASE MAKE SURE DATE AND TIME IS SET CORRECTLY BEFORE RUNNING THIS TOOL
• Please make sure USB key is formatted to FAT 32 and preferably on a blank drive
• Save the attached file with this e-mail to the root of the USB key as SMC.BIN and insert to the system (or save the file to the root of drive 😧 HP_TOOLS)
• Press (Windows Key + Arrow UP Key + Arrow Down Key) all keys at same time and turn on the system
• Release all keys and press F10 at HP logo to go to F10 setup
• Select the first menu's option to (Reset BIOS security to factory default)

The good news - it worked

The bad news - cost me 39.00

To me, a investment of time and money was worth it for the latset BIOS update. It has the latest security updates, and I will be able to get future updates as they become available.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation