Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
ZBook 17 (G1)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a ZBook 17 (G1) with Quadro K5100M. I'm very happy with the system, but the graphics is a bottleneck for me now (I do video post and CG animation). I need to upgrade the graphics, or else buy a new laptop. 

I am hopeful that I could replace the MXM card with a newer Quadro (i.e. the M5000M or the coming-soon P5000). I feel like, since I already have a 100W part in there, the cooling is built for it. But I don't know if there are other gotchas. Is this possible? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This Workstation can use the following:

• NVIDIA Quadro K610M with 1 GB dedicated GDDR5 video memory Microsoft DirectX 11.1 (Shader Model 5.0) and OpenGL 4.2 capable
  • NVIDIA Quadro K3100M with 4 GB dedicated GDDR5 video memory Microsoft DirectX 11.1 (Shader Model 5.0) and OpenGL 4.2 capable
  • NVIDIA Quadro K4100M with 4 GB dedicated GDDR5 video memory Microsoft DirectX 11.1 (Shader Model 5.0) and OpenGL 4.2 capable
  • NVIDIA Quadro K5100M with 8 GB dedicated GDDR5 video memory Microsoft DirectX 11.1 (Shader Model 5.0) and OpenGL 4.2 capable

Looks like you have it's max GPU. 🙂

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

This Workstation can use the following:

• NVIDIA Quadro K610M with 1 GB dedicated GDDR5 video memory Microsoft DirectX 11.1 (Shader Model 5.0) and OpenGL 4.2 capable
  • NVIDIA Quadro K3100M with 4 GB dedicated GDDR5 video memory Microsoft DirectX 11.1 (Shader Model 5.0) and OpenGL 4.2 capable
  • NVIDIA Quadro K4100M with 4 GB dedicated GDDR5 video memory Microsoft DirectX 11.1 (Shader Model 5.0) and OpenGL 4.2 capable
  • NVIDIA Quadro K5100M with 8 GB dedicated GDDR5 video memory Microsoft DirectX 11.1 (Shader Model 5.0) and OpenGL 4.2 capable

Looks like you have it's max GPU. 🙂

I am an HP Employee
-----
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. That sounds right as far as what is officially supported, I just thought that it might support newer cards unofficially. Like if the new cards are MXM, and have the same or lower thermals, what prevents it from working? I'm out of warranty anyway, so I'm willing to forego it being an HP-sanctioned upgrade. 

HP Recommended

I just saw this comment over at a Tom's Hardware discussion thread:

you cant upgrade using older MXM slot... so even if they had the older slots , the new MXM cards would not work.

This is true for older Clevo and Sager and etc Models which use older MXM slots. buy an old sager and try to upgrade it to Pascal GTX card you will fail . Forget about upgrading old Notebooks GPU ... mostly will never work with newer cards.

Along with the other reply here, I'm accepting the answer is NO, I won't be able to upgrade to a Pascal-based MXM board. 

So bad news is no upgradability 😞

Good news is new laptop! 🙂

Lenovo just announced new ThinkPad P71 coming in March with P5000. Where's HP's update?

HP Recommended

Hi I feel you were getting incomplete information so I decided to register(this awful system refused accept just about every screenname I choose except for the one i currently have:( can a Mod help me change my screenname?)

The list provided by iMaxx is mearly what HP offered when the unit was launched and thus only includes the models you could order through HP at the time, if you are willing to perform video bios updates there are confirmed upgrades to G1 Zbooks like the Geforce 965m which is based on Maxwel Architecture and far better for gaming than the cards offered by  HP at the launch of the Z Book G1 the following video includes the graphics card installation and how it runs in the g1 Z book https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ4JjI4juVk

A
lso the older style MXM slots you are referring to in your last post predate MXM 3.0 (the G1 Z books have MXM 3.0)

HP Recommended

do ou have any video on how to replace the K610 GPU?

HP Recommended

@Wayne538000 wrote:

do ou have any video on how to replace the K610 GPU?

Not sure which unit you are refering to, but this link has Serviec Videos.

http://h20464.www2.hp.com/

I am an HP Employee
-----
HP Recommended

Can i upgrade MXM GPU for my HP Zbook 17 G2 from Quadro K3100M to GTX 1060 MXM 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.