Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ZBook Fury 17.3 inch G8 Mobile Workstation PC (31Z30AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone!

Maybe there is someone out there who can give me some advice. I have a new ZBook Fury G8. It should replace my old workstation. I work mainly with After Effects.

Since the beginning I am experiencing weird crashes and freezes. Sometimes it´s just crashing After Effects , sometimes it is completely crashing my ZBook, sometimes it ends with a blue screen of death, sometimes it turns instantly into a black Screen and the audio is making a weird loopy noise.

First I thought it´s the new Version of After Effects 2022, which is in fact quite bug riddled and also that I am cashing directly on the same SSD Harddisk, where WIN10 and AE are installed.

Now I upgraded my RAM from 32 to 64 GBs, I have installed 4 SSD Harddisks. (Everthing bought from the HP Parts Store).

1 SSD Harddisk for running the System

1 SSD Harddisk for the Workfile

1 SSD purely for cashing

from 64 GB Ram I reserved 32 - 52GB for AE.

Bios is updated and OK. All the drivers are up to date and Windows 10 as well.

I have mostly NO other Software running in the Background, except Spotify. I tried different Versions of After Effects.

AE 2022 (super unstable, even with deactivated MultiFrameRendering, Hardware Acceleration deactivated and so on)

AE 2021 (very unstable, even with deactivated MultiFrameRendering, Hardware Acceleration deactivated and so on)

AE 2020 (unstable, but usable, Preview with no CUDA oder Open GL activated)

AE 2019 (unstable, usable, Preview with no CUDA oder Open GL activated)

Also until now, I did not create extremely huge and hardware demanding projects. Mostly I am just using the Path Tool and creating some Vector Shapes with Path Layers. But this alone seems enough to completly overthrow this machine in combination with Adobe After Effects and experiencing quite frustrating crashes. Now I am sometimes  even greeted with a white screen called  "Sure Start Recovery" while booting up.

I scanned my Hardware with chdsk, nothing faulty detected. I used the HP uefi tool, nothing found. I used the hardware diagnostics feature from the HP support Assistant - also nothing.

Any Ideas what I have to do, to use my ZBook as a fully working Workstation!?!

In this current state, I cannot use it for my work - I have to be able to rely on my machine.

Many Thanks in advance and sorry if my english is a bit odd.

My System:

ZBook Fury G8 17,3 Inch, Nvidia RTX A4000,  Intel Core i9-11950H @ 2.60GHz 2.61 GHz,

4 SSD Hardisks (3 x 1 TB, 1x 512 GB) , 64 GB RAM, WINDOWS 10.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Just in case, anybody out there has a similar problem - I will continue talking to myself. 

After countless try outs and Adobe Support blaming HP and HP Support blaming Adobe;

Well, it turns out that the CPU cores where constantly overheating due to the "Turbo Boost Function".

Even when my ZBook was idle or I was just surfing the net, the fans where suddenly howling and the CPU cores temperatures reached about 100 degrees.

Now I DEACTIVATED/UNCHECKED the "Turbo Boost Function" in the BIOS menue.

My Zbook runs now much quieter, the max core temperature is around 65 degrees and the best thing:

No crashing After Effects anymore... until now.

I don´t now why this sort of thing is happening with a super expensive "workstation replacement", specificaly designed to handle heavy workloads and so on.

HP Support was mostly useless, just blaming it on Adobe. I expected much better services and quality from HP.

All that is left; I still get the "Sure Start Recovery" Start Screen everytime and don´t know how to get rid of it. If anyone here knows a way - I am open to suggestions

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.