Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ZBook G5 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Found a bug in the Bios Firmware, when in Hybrid mode using a WX-4170 video card, all external outputs are handled by the AMD card as expected. but after waking from sleep, the external outputs are now handled by the iGPU.

It's like the GPU output switch is not resetting to the proper configuration when the laptop wakes from sleep.

The configuration is restored on reboot, so it's not faulty hardware.

Also If/when HP decides to look after this, can you please re-enable undervolting on your next bios update or at least give an option for the people that need it?

Last Bios update doesn't let me go back to a version where I can do that, and on this Bios version the new fan profile is very lazy and let's the CPU run warmer (Fan starts spinning above 50C), so the problems compound, and I'm getting horrible Thermal Throttling and the laptop is not performing to original spec.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

After a lot of tests, I believe I've partially solved at least one of the issues.

I reset the EC by pressing power button for more than 15 seconds while the Zbook was off, and also cleared all the NVRAM as well as reset the Bios to factory defaults, and now the display outputs work as they should after sleep.

Just the very bad thermal throttling remains.

On Cinebench I was getting ~1400 points on CPU test before this Bios Update, and now with the new lazy fan, locked no-undervolt and I'm guessing there's something else in voltage regulation going on, I can't get it above 670 points. For a 6 core machine, that's really poor performance.

HP Recommended
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.