Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ZBook Power G7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

(Exact configuration: HP ZBook Power G7 notebook, I7 10750h CPU, Quadro T1000 Max-Q GPU, 16GB ram, 1080p screen)

Hello, I recently got this new laptop for my upcoming education, it works really fast but noticed some problems with the fans ramping up at relatively low CPU loads (I.e. running Chrome browser with only the standard tab open). So I wanted to check the temperatures with HWmonitor and noticed something strange: the CPU clock speed, wattages, and voltages are constantly changing, and the temperature is fluctuating between 40 and 70 degrees really quickly at low CPU loads. At high CPU loads (100% every core, using Cinebench r20 to test), the CPU quickly sends 60-80 watts for around 50 seconds while the CPU is frying at 97-99 degrees Celcius, until it decides that it is overheating and drops the wattages to 30-40 watts, dropping the temperatures to ~85 degrees Celcius.  Meanwhile the GPU is completely fine at maximum (GPU) loads, reaching about 60-75 degrees Celcius at maximum loads. (All tests are done plugged into the charger)

Is there anything I can do to resolve this issue without voiding my warranty? Ideally I would want to limit the CPU power to ~40 watts so the temperatures, fan noise, and performance stay consistent at maximum loads. I noticed that there is this HP power manager program preinstalled on the laptop, but I can't acces it without changing something in the BIOS, but I am afraid that this will void my warranty. 

Thanks in advance. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello @zeusbeer 

Welcome !

Personal recommendation based on my personal experience with your PC model:

If you do not use HP Sure apps or if you do not like them, you might want to uninstall all of the HP built-in security Sure apps (Sure Sense, Sure Run, Sure Click ,etc) and finally disable them from BIOS/UEFI F10 (Security tab -> Secure Platform Management) to lower the impact. Save changes/exit/reboot.

However, what you experience is not an issue but a normal behavior for your Zbook. This is an extremely powerful machine with top specs in a small portable size. HP is the only PC vendor I am aware of (or one of the few) which makes such a powerful computing device into such a small and portable form factor, and what you describe is to be expected.

Public information from Intel is available here >> https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/201837/intel-core-i7-10750h-processor-12m-cache...

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.