Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ZBook Studio G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

It is currently not possible to disable USB-C port Downstream Charging for shutdown power states in the BIOS of the ZBook Studio.  Oddly, this option DOES exist in the very same BIOS software which runs on HP Desktop systems (see  HP publication "HP PC Commercial BIOS (UEFI) Setup Administration Guide", document number 919946-004, p. 43).

I need the ability to turn off all USB charging when the ZBook Studio is shutdown.  I can turn off charging on the legacy USB 3.0 port, but not the USB-C ports.

HP Product Support Engineering:  PLEASE consider enhancing the BIOS for the ZBook Studio to allow disabling Downstream Charging on the USB-C ports when the machine is in shutdown state.

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

if we may ask, is there a specific need for this request? the usb-c PD spec provides bidirectional power delivery on these ports, which are also Thunderbolt capable, so your request would be to turn off usb-c PD

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the followup.

One of my uses for the ZBook Studio G5 is for video recording and streaming.  I use two Sony cameras, each connected to one of the two USB-C ports via an external "HDMI capture card" device (Pengo in this case).  The device converts HDMI output from the camera to USB and it appears in the OS as a webcam/video device.  These are self-powered devices with no power switch (this is the case for the vast majority of similar devices).  When I shutdown, these two capture card devices are drawing a significant amount of power from the laptop.  It's needless consumption of energy from the battery, and it's needless wear on the capture card to keep it powered (and generating heat) when not being used.  And constant plug/unplug cycles on the USB-C ports to get around this is just wearing out the hardware needlessly.  It's a bad scenario all around.

I understand these are also Thunderbolt ports, and I also understand that the USB-C PD spec provides bidirectional power delivery.  But this should not limit a user's ability to control the behavior if needed.  Just make it clear that turning off USB-C downstream charging will disable USB-C PD.  I'm OK with that.  I don't use a dock, USB-C hub, or USB-C power adapter, and these are really the only devices that would be USB-C Power Providers for the laptop as far as I know.  Bottom line for me is that I don't need or want PD when my machine is in shutdown state (S4 or S5) and I'd like the ability to turn it off in that case.

Thanks for your consideration of this.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.