Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Zbook 15uG5

I have noticed a bad management of my laptop to select the right graphic card despite inputing which software should be used by the AMD Card in the Radeon Settings.

Let's say I use some 3D CAD software, normally the AMD Radeon should be used.

Yet time to time the laptop use the Intel one ( I know it because then operating CAD software become extremly slow to zoom in and out on parts I model and when I unactivate the Intel Graphic Card in System Management, then the CAD activity become super fluid).

I have tried to unactivate totally the Intel Graphic Card so to force the AMD use , but then when I do so, I loose the HDMI port... which let me think that this HDMI port is only used by the Intel Graphic card or that some drivers are missing in the AMD to handle HDMI (HP Support can comment on this ?).

Do I understand well then that HDMI port can only be used by Intel UHD graphic card or is there any settings / driver issue here ? FYI I have installed those drivers : 

AMD Video Drivers and Control Panel :
. Intel Video Driver and Control Panel :
9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Update on this topic.

After testing, searching etc... I found the problem of slowness is appearing after the computer has been into sleep mode.

I also noticed this problem doesn't occur even with sleep mode when only one graphic card is activated. 

So, all of this lead me to think there is a problem of conflict on dual graphic card laptop after sleep mode.

I hope HP can check this and provide a patch.

HP Recommended

i assume you have updated the BIOS and all drivers... if not, i recommend the HP Image Assistant tool... Then, i might consider, for your conditions, that you change the BIOS setting in Advanced\Device Options Graphics to Discrete Graphics, which then will use the Radeon card only for all graphics needs

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

It seems apparently the problem I am experiencing (computer being slow especially for 3D work) happen after the computer being in sleep mode or hibernation and waking up.

I have updated all my drivers including BIOS etc... with no improvement.

when I called HP they tried to make me install Intel Rapid Storage, but seems this software is incompatible with my Windows 10 version (which I never changed since I acquired this computer).

When I experienced slow display in 3D work after waking from sleep mode, the only solution I got is to unactivate the Intel graphic card. Then my HDMI port doesn't work anymore (it seems HDMI is working only with Intel Integrated graphic card ?!), the graphic become fluid but then I got only my main laptop display working so I need to activate again the Intel graphic to get by my HDMI port working fluidly. This is a painfull process....

When my laptop is not connected to any external display there is also the same problem when the two graphic cards are activated. I wanted to try to test to go in Sleep mode with only having the AMD Radeon activated but it seems that when I do so then the Windows Menu only get the STOP or RESTART options, not SLEEP ANYMORE....

I believe there is a problem when the computer go out of sleep or hibernation mode with may be some conflict or something. Strangely, when I use CTRL + ALT + DEL when I go to Performance, I see that the 3D software still use the AMD RADEON when the computer wake up, it means the computer didn't switch from the AMD to the Intel, but it still get slow... I believe there is may be a conflict somewhere on driver management or something similar.

I hope HP is reading this forum and can find a patch to those problems :
1./ Hibernation + grpahic card not working properly
2./ Having AMD RADEON display available on HDMI port

HP Recommended

You really should keep Windows 10, bios and any graphics drivers up to date. Then as said you set graphics to discrete in bios. HDMI will then be directly linked to the discrete graphic - it is with my ZBook and Quadro - HDMI to external monitor. Your sleep problems are probably related to your power settings and whether you are mains connected or using battery. For full performance you need to be on mains and using the Windows 'High Performance' power plan. There are various things in the ZBook bios that can affect throttling too, so I would study the settings from the HP manuals for your model.

HP Recommended

My BIOS and my drivers are up to date. I use HP IMAGE ASSISTANT and all are up to date. Same for Win 10. 

In the BIOS the only options I got for  graphic cards are Hybrid and UMA. There is no other choice..
If i select UMA, then my AMD Radeon doesn't appear anymore in my Device Manager , my PC then use only the Intel Graphics UHD. When I launch my 3D software then it works fine, when I go to sleep mode and come back it seems to work fine and fluid. So it confirm there is a problem of conflict or driver with the AMD Radeon and the Intel UHD together. 

You are going to tell me : "then use only the Intel one", but I would reply:" if I want a computer with an Intel UHD graphic card, then why do I pay a premium price for a laptop with a 3D Dedicated graphic card that I can not use !!?"

I have already removed the fast wake up that Win 10 use by defaut to see if it would make a difference but it didn't.

I really don't understand what HP did here: they sell a computer which is dedicated for 3D use with a 3D graphic card specifically oriented to 3D Graphic work. They put a ton of useless feature on this laptop (SIM Reader, Chip card reader which probably 99% of the users don't need) but they forget to test hibernation and wake up function to safeguard the use of the main elements of what this laptop for : 3D Graphic card usage... I don't mention the absurdity of not even having a SD CARD reader on this computer ...

HP Recommended

Then if you are not seeing a discrete option in bios you are unable to disable Intel's integrated graphics. The full size high end workstation 15 and 17's are able to do this - its rarer than common in laptops though. As I mentioned hibernation and sleep will be in your Windows power plan and if you are on battery the laptop will go to sleep at some point - check your power plan (bottom right task bar, right click power icon) and disable all sleep/hibernation settings.

Also you said "my Windows 10 version (which I never changed since I acquired this computer).", So are you using 20H2 or some earlier Windows 10 version? In any case it won't make any difference re the lack of discrete graphics.

HP Recommended

I work with AC Power adapter, not on battery and already push my power plan to its maximum of performance (I am not on energy saving mode).

I am on Win 10 Professional version 1909  / 18363.1256

The problem is not going to hibernation or sleep mode, the problem is when waking up it becomes slow.

HP Recommended

If your laptop needs waking up on mains then it is going to sleep at some point. My ZBook 17 G5 is quite often left on 24/7 - it never goes to sleep - disable the plugged in sleep and hibernation settings in the 'High Performance' plan of Windows power options (you can always choose sleep manually). 1909 is an older version of Windows 10, currently it is up to 20H2, which is very stable in a production environment here.

HP Recommended

I have updated all what I could from HP IMAGE ASSISTANT and was not getting any improvement.

I have then used HP SUPPORT ASSISTANT which show that some other stuff could be updated despite HP IMAGE ASSISTANT UPDATE wwere complete. I made the updates proposed with HP SUPPORT ASSISTANT. Currently it seems getting better after this last update. Not sure why as none of the proposed updates were related to graphic card or to rapid storage etc..

I will leave the topic open for a few days in case those changes are actually pure hazard...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.