Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
elitepad MODEL HSTNN-C75C
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

I would like to be able to boot from a USB. Holding the volume down button access the "bios" screen, but selecting the boot options (F9) give the option to boot from the USB, but then it says the security policy does not allow booting from the USB. Where do I change the security policy? I would like to install Linux as a dual boot and need to boot from the USB.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @drichard58,

I believe this is referring to Secure Boot.

You can disable Secure Boot by following the below steps:

1. Turn off the computer
  2. Press the power button and immediately press Esc repeatedly
  3. Select F10
  4. Navigate to System Configuration
  5. Expand Boot Options
  6. Select Secure Boot and then select Disable
  7. Then Save and Exit

Note that the above steps may be a bit different.

Let me know how it goes.

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

That's what I thought, too. However, when I do that, I get the typical "Bios" screen. I get an HP screen called "Startup Menu". The options are

• F1 - System  Information
  •  F2 - System Diagnostics
  • F9 - Boot Options
  • F11 - HP Recovery
  • F12 - Network Boot
  • ENTER - Continue Startup

The F9 gives me the option to boot from the USB, but that's where I get the error.  The others don't seem to have anything about the SECURE BOOT. 

HP Recommended

Hello @drichard58,

Can you please review the model name you've provided? Is this the Elitepad 900?

A specific model name or product number would be appreciated. E.g. HP Spectre x360 - 13-ap0028ca or 5MT98UA#ABL

Information on how to find a laptop's model name or product number is detailed in this HP document. (Please do not post serial numbers on the HP Support Community. The difference between a product number and a serial number is that the product number contains a # sign)

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

HP Elite Pad Model HSTNN-C75C. Product ID D3H87UT#ABA.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.