Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thanks very much for the compliment. That is the art of communication; knowing how to relay information while keeping the recipient in a positive frame of mind, as opposed to putting them on the defensive. If I was really good at it, I'd probably be in sales and making lots of money on commissions!  I guess I got lucky with managing to get through to the right person at the right moment, and had just the right kind of wording in my message.

WiFi card wholesale prices are cheap and in the end it was a rather small expense for HP to make a customer happy (about $20 for parts and customer service labor to avoid lost sales from negative posts made on forums by me is well worth it; and if I post positively that's a nice bonus as well). But having customer relations management working like this is a good sign that HP is concerned about its customer base. I really do hope that there will be a good shot at getting HP to change their white list practice.

Anyway, if I find that I make further inroads with HP on this issue I'll be sure to let you know.  🙂

See you around the forum!

Best,
~Gary

"Trying to remain positive and optimistic in an ever growing negative and cynical world. Peace."
HP Recommended

Hi Gary and Paul,

I have a dv6-7000, which comes with a Ralink RT5390 wifi card .   If I want to upgrade mine like Gary did, should I be buying a RTL8188CE or RTL8192CE or RTL8191SE card?  

Gary you menioned that "Anyway, I then downloaded the RTL8188CE driver pack from Realtek after removing the previous HP Realtek drivers, then re-installed the HP Realtek drivers once more.  FINALLY it started working."   Did you re-installed the original HP provided driver, or the one you downloaded for the  RTL8188CE card?

Thanks in advance!

Peter

HP Recommended

Service Manual for Dv6 is here: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03099531.pdf

and on page 61 is a list of the WLAN devices that are supported.

Lester...

P.S. - I wish he had finished fixing/altering the BIOS as I now would like to install a 802.11ac card.

HP Recommended

I dont have  a DV6 but would LOVE to get rid of the whitelist in my Envy 4T-1200....  I'd hate to buy an AC wireless card, spend the time to open my sealed ultrabook then find out it cant be done...

HP Recommended

At this point, USB WiFi adapters have come down in price and have reduced in size, making them a reasonable alternative to the internal wireless adapter.  The only disadvantage -- the USB adapter does not leverage the internal antenna, due to how it is hard wired to the OEM network adapter card.  So, it may provide better throughput in short range, but then sacrifice some long range sensitivity.  Some USB adapters offer an external antenna socket, so that could help get over that problem, but only feasible to use in a desktop environment.

"Trying to remain positive and optimistic in an ever growing negative and cynical world. Peace."
HP Recommended

Hi Gary,

I know this post is several years old. But I am having the very same issue with my HP Pavilion DV6t-6C00. I have been looking for the updated driver for this wifi adapter, and am not willing to pay HP several hundred dollars for support on an old laptop. 

Do you know where you found the drivers? I can't seem to locate them - not sure if they have been since removed. 

This problem started when I updated to Windows 10. I can use the Ethernet cable just fine, or even an external wifi adapter, but would love to just be able to use the original one. 

Thanks,

Caroline

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue. 
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about forum posting, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.