Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp probook 6465b
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

ok i asked this before but now that i have tried 3 motherboards i have the same issue, so i'm hard press to think i have got 3 bad motherboards.

the original board is a 658544-001 and the replacements are the same numbers. the first board i took the cmos batt out before i installed it and put my cmos into this replacement board. and then when i powered it up nothing happened. some told me i should have not taken the c mos batt out.

so today i got 2 more motherboard and i left the cmos batteries installed. i put the boards in and still i have not hard drive light flashing or the screen turning on so it is just not booting up.  i find it almost impossible that i got 3 bad motherboards. 

so this is what i did and maybe someone can tell me if i messed up.

i took the old board out and when i put the new board in i made sure the cmos batt was plugged in to the mb  then i made sure it got plugged into the connector that is under the cmos plug then i plugged that little board the next to the modem. i did notyet plug in the modem.

i put the power connector side in and then the mic side in and fastened the mb with the 3 screws that have the arrows indicating the fastening points for the mb. then i plugged in the screen connector and the one next to that one and then the fan. then the connector under the battery and then the wifi card and then the memory and then the keyboard. i put in the known good hard drive and then the main battery and laid it down so i could power it up and all i get for all the motherboards is the wifi the power and that is it also the 3 lights by the delete key. they do change color when i press them.

so what do i have to plug in to make this work. i just can't believe i got 3 bad motherboards. they all have the same numbers and the seller told me the laptops all powered up so that he was sending out good motherboards.  

i have to be doing something wrong and for the life of me i do not know. do i have to have more motherboard screws installed for some kind of grounding circuit connections? i know some circuit boards use the mounting points for there grounding points. but it seems to me the arrows on the board are the main mounting points and they should be all i need for that type of circuit connecting points. maybe i need more. but the frame looks to be plastic to me and not metal mounting points.

so i'm out of ideas. the last thing i did was plug in the dvd just in case it needed to see that. i did not plug in the connector for the speakers yet. 

so i do not have the speaker connector plugged in or the modem yet and it did not come with the bio scanner so i do not have that to plug in, and i do not see any more connections on the backside on the mb. i have not yet tried to hook up a monitor to the laptop to see if the screen is dead but the other replacement mb i did connect a monitor and that did not show anything, so i connected it to this pc i'm using for this note and the monitor did turn on so i know the monitor is good.

so to update this i just put the laptop back together so it would have all the connectors plugged in and i still have the same issue. i find it hard to believe that i got 3 bad motherboards. i do not get the hard drive light to show and it does not power or boot up. i guess it is possible the screen went bad but i should be seeing the hard drive light flashing to show me it is booting up. so now i have no idea. maybe someone here has a clue. but if not i think it is time to toss this one. i know the modem, the wifi, the hard drive, and the memory all work as i swapped all these out into my 6470b probook and this laptop is working so it is not the plugin devices.

thanks.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

ok got it to go it turns out the wifi module went bad. i took everything out and tried it one device at a time and when the wifi module went in i got the issue. so i found an old wifi module that seems to work.

i would have never guessed that was the issue. it went bad the same time i took the memory out to get the motherboard numbers. wow!

anyway, thanks malok from the win10 forums for prompting me to do some device removal for testing. i knew that i could do that but had a big brain fart and forgot about doing that testing. thanks thanks thanks

thanks got er done

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.