Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Recently upgraded a Compaq/HP 6710b business notebook from Windows XP Pro 32-bit to Windows XP Pro 64-bit. Naturally, trying to locate  the correct drivers for everything was a major and unpleasent effort. I was able to locate 64 bit drivers for the graphics and the wireless, but it was a herculean effort.

I now need the Windows XP 64-bit drivers for the Soundmax integrated digital HD audio and the Ethernet; so far, no luck. Doing Google searches (along with Yahoo and Bing) results in sites that claim to have drivers for "both 32 and 64 bit systems" but all I get is the ubiqitous "this sofware does not support this operating system" message each time I attempt to install any of them.

Any help with finding the correct driver(s) would be appreciated. Thanks.

Daniel D.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I found it. I cannot believe it; I actually found it!! :OpenSmile:

The interesting part it's been literally at my fingertips all along, but didn't realize it.

When I do an install, I store any pertinent drivers on our main file server for easy access. This one was a Vista driver (a 32-bit one, no less!) that I had used when setting up a previous hp 6710b laptop for one of our users after I upgraded it from XP to Vista.

As a very last resort (and, I had already attempted with Vista 64 drivers which failed miserably) I downloaded and installed from the server; and, it flippin' worked! Unbelievable!

Just for your info, the driver originally came from HP's site; no major Google searches needed.

Many, many thanks, Paul, for your patience in helping with this. :generic:

Daniel D.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

I recommend you try the Vista Business x64 driver.

Manually install the driver if the auto install doesn't work.

I used the Vista Business x64 driver on my 6930p's Soundmax audio when I used to run XP Pro x64 on it.

Worked just fine.

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen wrote:

Hi:

I recommend you try the Vista Business x64 driver.

Manually install the driver if the auto install doesn't work.

I used the Vista Business x64 driver on my 6930p's Soundmax audio when I used to run XP Pro x64 on it.

Worked just fine.

Paul, many thanks for the prompt and helpful response. Unfortunately, I have been unable to install the driver. The Vista 64 bit business driver I located was on hp's site, but it gave me the same error message as the others have, even doing a manual update. If you know of the location of the driver you used, and have the link, could you please post that so I could download?

Again, many thanks.

Daniel D.
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sorry that didn't work for you.  I'm pretty surprised.

You tried forcing the install by selecting the let me pick from a list of device drivers..., Have Disk...browse right to the inf file?

I highly doubt that the Vista Business 64 bit driver from the 6930p support page will work, but here it is...

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=3740643&swItemId=ob_61693_1&swEnvOid=2103...

HP Recommended

You know...I was just thinking...

The 8510w mobile workstation has the same chipset as your model has and because it is a mobile workstation it has XP x64 drivers.

Try the soundmax audio driver for XP x64 from that model.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=3355681&swItemId=ob_56404_1&swEnvOid=2002

I take it you have also installed Xp x64 SP2 correct?  Otherwise you need to also install this driver first...

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=3355681&swItemId=ob_47284_1&swEnvOid=2002

HP Recommended

Paul, you've been extremely helpful by going the "extra mile". Thanks for all the posts and the links. Unfortunately, none of them have worked.

First, SP2 is indeed installed; I found that out when I tried installing Firefox :Wink:

I downloaded the last link you sent and attempted the install, both with the installation file and manually; both were a negative.   See the error below:

Soundmax error.JPG

I'm seriously wondering if there is a any solution to this. It appears XP 64-bit simply does not support this hardware on this platform, although I find that difficult to accept.

Daniel D.
HP Recommended

Sorry that driver didn't work either.

I'm not giving up yet, because I agree with you that there is an answer to this puzzle out there somewhere,

Please post the hardware ID for the multimedia audio controller needing the driver.

To find the hardware ID, click on the multimedia audio controller and then click on the Details tab at the top of the multimedia audio controller window.

Did you also try the auto install method from the device>update driver>automatic search?

Be connected to the internet and maybe Windows Update will find the right driver.

It could take several minutes to search and Windows will either find the driver or report that it could not find a driver.

HP Recommended

I found it. I cannot believe it; I actually found it!! :OpenSmile:

The interesting part it's been literally at my fingertips all along, but didn't realize it.

When I do an install, I store any pertinent drivers on our main file server for easy access. This one was a Vista driver (a 32-bit one, no less!) that I had used when setting up a previous hp 6710b laptop for one of our users after I upgraded it from XP to Vista.

As a very last resort (and, I had already attempted with Vista 64 drivers which failed miserably) I downloaded and installed from the server; and, it flippin' worked! Unbelievable!

Just for your info, the driver originally came from HP's site; no major Google searches needed.

Many, many thanks, Paul, for your patience in helping with this. :generic:

Daniel D.
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That is great news!

Glad you got the sound to work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.