Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 24 Bay SAS expander card
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

No idea where to post this... 
BLUF: Will the PERC H200 see drives attached to a HP 24 Bay SAS expander card (PN: 468406-B21)?
Will the motherboard work with a HP SA-P410 or SA-P410i Controller (known to work with the expander)?
Can a breakout cable be used as a "reverse" breakout cable to connect the expander card to the ROMB? 

Forgive the stupid questions. I've never build a physical raid with anything but the ROMB.
Backstory: As a pet project I've been putting together some "old" stuff. I currently have the following up and running:

S5000PSL (ROMB) - no chassis and none of the accessories from the original purchase.
Dual Xeon L5410 (SLAP4)
24GB RAM 
ATI HD5750
600 watt desktop PSU
NO CASE

In addition I have: 
about 30 HDDs
HP 24 Bay SAS Expander Card (PN: 468406-B21) - including 4 mini sas cables 
6 breakout cables

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

You may also want to post your question on the HPE Community Support forum-- Proliant Servers section.

https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/bd-p/itrc-264#.Wu2s8-SG-9I

If you do a search for 24 Bay SAS Expander and SA-P410i, you will find lots of questions posted there.

HP Recommended

Do you know if the Proliant server line ever used used the s5000psl motherboard?

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know.

It doesn't look like it though, according to this post...

https://community.hpe.com/t5/BladeSystem-Server-Blades/Any-reason-why-HP-can-t-provide-windows-7-pro...

HP Recommended

to answer your questions 

Will the PERC H200  work with the HP expander: yes it will (so will the h310) both dell cards can also be flashed to "IT" mode becomming just a HBA card (no raid functions)

Can a breakout cable be used as a "reverse" breakout cable to connect the expander card to the ROMB? 

No, you nust use the correct breakout cable a reverse breakout cable is wired diffrently read the link belw

https://www.servethehome.com/external-sas-sata-disk-chassis-wiring-part-2/

Will the motherboard work with a HP SA-P410 or SA-P410i Controller

qualified maybe/yes   .... the p410/410i is a server card and was designed to work with specific hp servers, it is not a card made to fit/work every computer with a pci-e slot

also the p410/410i is available in several diffrent sub models, and updating the firmware on all of them is almost impossible unless you have it installed in the matching HP server i strongly recomend you avoid this series card for home use

you can also use the LSI 9211-8i/4i  series cards they ship with "IR" firmware (Raid) or "IT firmware (HBA mode)

HBA mode is what you usually want it has no raid functions and simply apps more sas/sats ports to the motherboard

LSI makes software allowing you to switch firmware to whatever mode works best for your needs. i strongly recomend this card

HP Recommended

Thanks!

HP Recommended

This is great.  My questions were so wierd I wondered if I would ever find anything (Google's no help here).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.