Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Just purchase an HP Z420 used to try to upgrade and use as an editing/gaming/rendering machine. Nothing too heavy but I wanted to try this workstation. The specs are as follows:

HP Z420, Xeon E5-1660 3.3GHz, 24GB Ram, 500GB HDD, Nvidia Quadro 4000 with No OS installed.

When I started up the computer for the first time, I got 4 Beeps/4 Red Light flashes. I did a quick visual inspection of the interior to find that the LED was blinking back by the power reset button underneath the C2994MEM area. It was the CR19 light.

My question is, 1st is there somewhere or a document that I can get to set all the codes and light meanings, Secondly does this sound like a simple fix or is this something that I should take as a sign and return the machine? Again I'm going to go a bit deeper into the diagnosis this weekend just wanted to get the opinions of this board before moving forward!

Thanks to everyone in advance for the assistance!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

Here is the link to the service manual with the beep codes and recommended troubleshooting steps...

See chapter 4, page 146 to go directly to the meaning and troubleshooting steps for the 4 beep/red flashing light code.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04205252

HP Recommended

I've done all the troubleshooting steps for the 4 beeps/4 lights and it's still not booting up? Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

Looking closer at the motherboard I believe some of the Front panel setup cables are missing. Is there somewhere that I can see exactly where to connect these to?

HP Recommended

I would go with your thoughts...you should take it as a sign, and return the machine.

'Cuz now you are looking at hardware component failure...power supply or even the motherboard itself.

If you look at this troubleshooting guide, which IMO, gives more detail than then one on your PC's support page, it provides more troubleshooting steps...Appendix A, pp 55-56, replacing the power supply and/or replacing the system board.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01162207

You can check elsewhere in the service manual for where the cables might go...otherwise, there aren't any schematic documents available.

Box it up and send it back.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.