Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

the config steps to create a raid array will not change between sata or sas drives as the interface used does not matter to the controller (assuming the controller supports sas/sata)

you need to select at least two drives in the raid controllers bios and then save that config in the raid controllers bios

the creation of the raid array will wipe data off of both drives (for a raid 0/1) once the array has been successfully created, and the controller rebooted  it will show in the raid bios as raid 1/0 once this is done the windows setup will see the drives as one logical device

HP Recommended

Hi guys,

Wanted to share some good news alongside with contributing back to the community after all the assistance I got here.

So my short story went like this:

I bought an open box Z420 in order to create a Chia crypto plotter. 

After building my WS with a 20 thread CPU (e5-4657l v2) , the NVME (2TB PNY pci.e 3) and required RAM (64 GB 1866MHz which I don't really use now)I got really low results. The WS didn't handle the parallelism I was expecting, CPU wouldn't reach high utilization and production was quite low.

The recommendation here was to change the NVME with enterprise level SSDs.

I found 2 SSDs from a seller who didn't really know what he's holding (bought 2 1TB seagate 12GB/s SSDs for just a bit more than 300$). I also bought the mentioned LSI raid adapter.

So after dealing with it for a week I found the issue - the problem was that these SSDs are SED (hardware level encryption) and apparently cannot be used before re-formatted with SED info.

I used SeaTools (application by Seagate to monitor, test, format etc.. their disks) in order to "SED format" them using a 32 characters string printed on their sticker.

After formatting them I was able to create a RAID 0 volume from the both of them and it's working flawlessly!!! 🙂

Using a new app for Chia plotting I'm now able to better utilize my CPU and can create 3 times more plots a day that I could in my previous setup and app.

The SSDs reach read/write speeds of almost 1GB/s (and that's while using a 6GB/s raid controller, I guess I could have reach higher speed with 12GB/s controller, I don't think that I'll upgrade).

Many thanks to all of you trying to help 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.