Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z400
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello Guys,

I recently acquired 2 workstations a z400 and a xw8400.

This is the current state of the computers after working on them:

Z400

CPU:            W3520

RAM:            8GB DDR3

BIOS:            updated to 786G3 v03.61 (hopefully that's the latest version)

HD:               Raid0 with 2x Crucial SSD

GPU:             Nvidia GeForce 460

Issues:         The device cannot start (Code 10) - Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API  (  on one of the USB in device manager )  

xw8400

CPU:             1x5130  ( must upgrade to 2x X5365)

RAM:            32GB DDR2

BIOS:            updated to 786D5 v02.38 (hopefully that's the latest version)

HD:               Raid0 with 2x Crucial SSD

GPU:             Nvidia GeForce 770

Which of the 2 workstations do you think is worth upgrading with the latest supported CPU and new GPU so i can turn it into a gaming PC ? My sweet spot is for the xw8400

Also how do i get rid of the exclamation mark on one of the USB on the device manager ( The device cannot start (Code 10) - Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API  ) i tried deleting the device, resetting the bios and updating windows nothing worked. All the USB ports are working fine despite the error.

I will upload photos of the workstation and the error i am getting later on. Let me know if you need more details.

Thank You

Chris

53 REPLIES 53
HP Recommended

the z400 is a newer system, and as such offers better speed and upgrade path in regards to memory/cpu and it has pci-e 2.0 vs the 8400's pci-e 1.0

check/search  this forum on posts "SDH" has made on the z400/600 systems

on the z8400 turn off unused items in the bios like boot from network and onboard SCSI controllers

if that does not resolve it then reinstall the OS (again leave unneeded bios items disabled)

HP Recommended

Thank you i will continue research.  Any ideas regarding the Code 10 error i am getting on the device manager on the Z400 ?

xw8400 is fine win10 installed without any errors

HP Recommended

Here are some photos :

* Tried to clean, tidy up everything.

* Installed an additional high performance fan at the bottom front of the case

* Setup SSDs in raid 0 for win10 + one additional HDD for programs

* Installed GPU

79464702_549153602338248_7886456564238778368_n.jpg79663657_1151578575185804_8283602603732893696_n.jpg79950328_964174967298845_5179146258740150272_n.jpg80055857_1510814149067596_6234472847817834496_n.jpg80558168_589958155089090_4062189431585505280_n.jpg

HP Recommended

Can anyone please verify my findings:

*z400 max CPU is the X5690 and the system goes up to 16gb of DDR3

*xw8400 max dual CPU is X5365  ( already have 32gb of ram )

What Nvidia GPU do you recommend for each workstation so i will not bottleneck the CPU ? i was thinking something like the 970, 1050 or 1660. What is the absolute max ?

I will come back with eBay links showing the upgraded parts i would like to buy so you can help me verify they are compatible.

Thank You

HP Recommended

do yourself a favor READ the posts on the z400 by "SDH"

your going to be very unhappy if you buy a 56xx series cpu and then find out your z400 is a v1 board (4 dimm slots) which can only use 55xx series xeons

the v2 z400 boards have 6 dimm slots

HP Recommended

I have the version 1 with the 4 dimm slots and i have found a YT video that a guy installed the X5690 on a z400 v1 after upgrading to the latest bios as i have done.

As far as i understand the latest bios for the z400 v1 allows for features previously only possible on the v2.

I am reading the posts by SDH as we speak.

Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCjVfv8-rNo

HP Recommended

I've seen a number of their videos and clearly they are precise guys.  So, it can be done.  The question is whether you can live with some degree of concern that you'll hit data corruption or errors in the future.  The X5690 never was certified even for the version 2 Z400, which you don't have.  I've used that processor in all my Z400 v2 builds.  You already have the "Performance" larger heatsink/fan shown in your Z400 pic, so you're set for cooling.  I add in a northbridge fan atop the fins and there is a standard spare motherboard header at least on the v2 motherboards for that.  It is a worthwhile add, and you need to figure out how to attach it.  I use 4 proper sized stainless steel threaded machine screws epoxied down in the fins with the studs held in correct place by being bolted into the 4 fan holes before placement.  Fins/ washer to set on fins/ nut/ washer/ fan/ washer/ nylock nut just a bit loose until the epoxy sets and then gently tighten the nylock nut after epoxy has set, for all 4.  You need a bit of looseness to fit those studs down between the fins.  You can get the parts from Ace, and cut off heads to make the studs.  Noctua has some nice small PWM fans, but you can just use the first 3 pins and run it without PWM.

There is a company you can buy HP Z400/Z600 OEM COA install discs from for a HP "factory" install of W7 (assuming you have a Z400 that is BIOS-encoded to be licensed for that).  Usually on one of the case labels you can find an indicator that is the case.  I can provide that if you wish.  There are a lot of W7 updates that would be needed, of course, and in the top post of this forum I give the solution to that issue where you do the install disconnected from the net, then do the add-ins, and only after that connect for Windows Update marathon.

Regarding that error code..... I have no idea.  Google might help.  There are error code decoder rings for HP workstations you can find that way.  Try the service manual too.

HP Recommended

Here's a pic of your motherboard and where I center the fan, and the standard type PWM motherboard header for that fan.  My recall is that the right Noctua fan comes with some or one fan speed reducer.  You can see that new fan's speed in BIOS and from HP Performance advisor and I don't run those super fast.... down at 2k rpm or lower.

There is no reason you can't add in USB3 card and front access as I've posted on.  I have no idea if you might be able to run 4 x 8GB sticks but you never know.  That would be nice with W10 as an experiment.  ECC unbuffered is all you can run, but that can actually be a tiny bit faster than ECC buffered.

EDIT:  regarding the screwing down of the heatsink after upgrading a processor in these.... be very careful to not over-tighten.  The metal in the tray those screws go into is thin and relatively weak.  I have stripped one of those by doing what I usually do where the workstation has a threaded insert that is thick and strong.  Just go down to where it barely bottoms out, and go slow.

s-l1600.jpg

HP Recommended

Also keep in mind that you are depending on your motherboard to have the tolerances required to run a 56xx series cpu, and not all v1 z400 motherboards may have this,... you may experience a fully working system or one that has subtle issues like can't warm boot or run with all slots of ram filled

i've seen a few users of z800 workstations with a v1 board using a single 56xx cpu but almost all of them fail upon them trying to add a sec cpu and many z800 users can't even run one 56xx cpu on a v1 board

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.