Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z8 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've recently purchased the MicroSemi SmartHBA2100-4i4e SAS Controller add-in card for the Z8 G4 (not knowing prior  to buying the Z8 G4 that unlike the previous generation Z series workstations, the Z8 G4 has no onboard SAS controller ports and instead relies on an add-in SAS/Raid card).

The SAS Hard Drives I will be using are capable of 12gbps, my question is are the 4 factory supplied hard drive cables which run from the backplate where the hard drive caddies fit to the corresponding SATA ports on the motherboard also capable of supplying 12gbps or do I need to replace those 4 cables to ones capable of providing full throughput for the SAS drives.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

SAS/SATA cables are the same exact thing (although dual port cables do exist) and are interchangeable there is no difference between a SATA 3/6GBps and a SAS 6/12GBps cable itself although the connecting ends can differ depending on if connecting to a backplane, external connector or directly to a drive

there are numerous venders selling these cables and the build quality can vary somewhat so if possible stay with name brand ones if possible i've personally used no name and brand name and both work well but the name brand had better latching mechanisms

also for a SAS/SATA card i preferer the adaptec ASR-8405/8805 cards over the LSI 93xx cards due to the adaptec supporting SAS/SATA and RAID/JBOD (the performanced based LSI based cards are one or the other Raid or HBA)

one last thing, connecting SAS 6 and SAS 12 drives on the same port will usually result in all drives running at 6GBps speeds although some controllers are flexible in this regard

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

SAS/SATA cables are the same exact thing (although dual port cables do exist) and are interchangeable there is no difference between a SATA 3/6GBps and a SAS 6/12GBps cable itself although the connecting ends can differ depending on if connecting to a backplane, external connector or directly to a drive

there are numerous venders selling these cables and the build quality can vary somewhat so if possible stay with name brand ones if possible i've personally used no name and brand name and both work well but the name brand had better latching mechanisms

also for a SAS/SATA card i preferer the adaptec ASR-8405/8805 cards over the LSI 93xx cards due to the adaptec supporting SAS/SATA and RAID/JBOD (the performanced based LSI based cards are one or the other Raid or HBA)

one last thing, connecting SAS 6 and SAS 12 drives on the same port will usually result in all drives running at 6GBps speeds although some controllers are flexible in this regard

HP Recommended

Thanks for the detailed reply. I shall investigate the Adaptec cards.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.