Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z800
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
Hi!

Trying to improve my (single CPU) 3 x 4GB = 12 GB configuration.
I have 1 x 4GB extra and 3 x 2GB available.

Can you think of a better 14 GB, 16 GB, 18 GB, 20 GB combo?

Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Ginesoliver,

SEE: http://h20331.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/downloads/Mini_WP_Z800_memory.pdf

As the z800 is LGA1366 using the X58 chipset, and the memory is triple channel. the optimal RAM configuration will be to use sets of 3X identical modules, PC3-10600E (DDR3-1333 ECC unbuffered), or if you think there is any chance you will ever have a second processor, use ECC registered. That choice isi mportant as if you do ever add the 2nd CPU, all the RAM will have to changed. Also, is there is to be a future 2nd CPU, consider arranging the potential for a RAM configuration that will be symmetrical for both CPU's. For example, my last LGA1366 / X58 system was a Dell Precision T5500 (2X Xeon X5680) and as the 2nd CPU riser had only three RAM slots, I used 3X 8GB on the mainboard and 3X 8GB on the riser board using all identical brand and model RAM. The same was applied to my last dual CPU system, an HP z620 (2X Xeon E5-2690): 4X 8GB on the mainboard and 4X 8GB on the riser board. Both those systems had highly related memory test results on Passmark.

The other important aspect to optimization is to follow the sequence of module installation- consult the optimization guide listed above.  In general, the largest capacity modules fill the first channel, but there is a specific pattern to filling the slots.

Consider selling the 3X 2GB and add 2X of 4GB identical to the extra 1X 4GB for 24GB.  My main workstation today (z620 /E5-1680 v2) uses 64GB (8X 8GB DDR3-1866 ECC unbuffered) which completes both mainboard quad RAM channels. My other system (Xeon E5-1660 v2) has 32GB and that system ran out of memory on large renderings- those needed 37+GB. The z620 system will never have a 2nd CPU as the E5-1680 v2 is strictly a single processor. If there is a chance a 2nd CPU will be added and you have unbuffered RAM, this would be the time to start over with registered.

BambiBoomZ

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Ginesoliver,

SEE: http://h20331.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/downloads/Mini_WP_Z800_memory.pdf

As the z800 is LGA1366 using the X58 chipset, and the memory is triple channel. the optimal RAM configuration will be to use sets of 3X identical modules, PC3-10600E (DDR3-1333 ECC unbuffered), or if you think there is any chance you will ever have a second processor, use ECC registered. That choice isi mportant as if you do ever add the 2nd CPU, all the RAM will have to changed. Also, is there is to be a future 2nd CPU, consider arranging the potential for a RAM configuration that will be symmetrical for both CPU's. For example, my last LGA1366 / X58 system was a Dell Precision T5500 (2X Xeon X5680) and as the 2nd CPU riser had only three RAM slots, I used 3X 8GB on the mainboard and 3X 8GB on the riser board using all identical brand and model RAM. The same was applied to my last dual CPU system, an HP z620 (2X Xeon E5-2690): 4X 8GB on the mainboard and 4X 8GB on the riser board. Both those systems had highly related memory test results on Passmark.

The other important aspect to optimization is to follow the sequence of module installation- consult the optimization guide listed above.  In general, the largest capacity modules fill the first channel, but there is a specific pattern to filling the slots.

Consider selling the 3X 2GB and add 2X of 4GB identical to the extra 1X 4GB for 24GB.  My main workstation today (z620 /E5-1680 v2) uses 64GB (8X 8GB DDR3-1866 ECC unbuffered) which completes both mainboard quad RAM channels. My other system (Xeon E5-1660 v2) has 32GB and that system ran out of memory on large renderings- those needed 37+GB. The z620 system will never have a 2nd CPU as the E5-1680 v2 is strictly a single processor. If there is a chance a 2nd CPU will be added and you have unbuffered RAM, this would be the time to start over with registered.

BambiBoomZ

HP Recommended

Thank you so much.

Really authoritative analysis.

Had read that doc (and failed to mention, sorry), and was wondering about the 16GB-22GB options.

Will attach to registered, will think about a future 2nd CPU.

Best and thanks again.

G.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.