Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z840 XEON E5-2623V3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Z840 has a single CPU  - a XEON E5-2623 v3  - and has provision for adding a second CPU.

My problem is that HP has several Part Numbers for this XEON depending on the equipment it is in eg 790093-001 when referring to the HP Z840; 780762-001 when referring to the HP Proliant; and J9Q18AA when referring to adding a second CPU kit for the Z840.

So my question is simple:-  is every XEON E5-2623 v3 identical no matter what its HP Pt No or piece of HP equipment it comes from?

The need for asking the question is also simple: most of those available are "Pulls" from servers which I presume are being scrapped; and the J9Q18AA kit is generally unavailable.

The kit comprises the CPU plus an additional heat sink and an additional fan.

I've managed to establish that the HP Pt No of the heat sink is 749598-001;  and that of the fan is 647113-001

and hence may be able to buy them separately.  BUT there are numerous fans supplied by HP which have different dimensions - and I have been unable to establish the dimensions of the 647113-001.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The answer is easy if there is only one sSpec code from Intel for the processor, and that is the case for you.

Google E5-2623 v3, and go to the Intel "ark" site you'll see in the google links provided.  Go from there to the Ordering and Compliance left site link.

You'll see there is only one sSpec code..... SR208.  If there were two you'd want the later version if you were putting the first processor in place, or the one that matches your first processor if you were adding a second.  Since there only is one then go to eBay and look up that sSpec code.  These are so new that I'm not seeing any good buys off eBay.  Intel new price is cheaper than many of those.  It helps to wait a bit.

Never buy a Q sSpec version.....it is a "qualification" version from Intel, and those are not supposed to be sold on the open market.

That is a 105W max TDP processor.... low power draw.  Don't worry about the heatsink/fan.... just go to eBay and search for Z840 heatsink, and gather your data.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The answer is easy if there is only one sSpec code from Intel for the processor, and that is the case for you.

Google E5-2623 v3, and go to the Intel "ark" site you'll see in the google links provided.  Go from there to the Ordering and Compliance left site link.

You'll see there is only one sSpec code..... SR208.  If there were two you'd want the later version if you were putting the first processor in place, or the one that matches your first processor if you were adding a second.  Since there only is one then go to eBay and look up that sSpec code.  These are so new that I'm not seeing any good buys off eBay.  Intel new price is cheaper than many of those.  It helps to wait a bit.

Never buy a Q sSpec version.....it is a "qualification" version from Intel, and those are not supposed to be sold on the open market.

That is a 105W max TDP processor.... low power draw.  Don't worry about the heatsink/fan.... just go to eBay and search for Z840 heatsink, and gather your data.

HP Recommended

Thank you SDH for your clear and helpful reply.  AGA2.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.