Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z440
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can anyone tell me which SSD modules will work as a boot drive for the Z turbo G2 drive adaptor  when installed in a Z440?

Seems impossible to find out which SSD modules are compatible and bootable. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

your HP z440 was released AFTER the z820 model line

all HP workstations AFTER the z820 support the NVME boot protocol only the z820 and earlier lack official nvme support

most SSD specs "DO" include the number of pci-e links in the mfgr spec sheet here's the Samsung 970 Pro  one

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/global.semi.static/Samsung_NVMe_SSD_970_PRO_Data_Sheet_Rev.1.0...

go to page "5" Technical  specifications, (second line) it states the PCI-E bus revision it supports (3.0), the number of links (x4)

the supported protocol (NVME) and it's revision (1.3)

Interface PCIe Gen 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.3

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

any NVME ssd that uses 4 pci links (which is about 99.9% of current consumer nvme ssd's) will work in the HP G2 pci-e card

HP Recommended

I see, so,  (about 99.9% of current consumer nvme ssd's use 4 pci links) how do I know that a particular SSD has 4 pci links?  I have never seen ( pci links)  listed in any of SSD specs.

Thank you, for the information it is very much apricated.

HP Recommended

"99.9% of current consumer nvme ssd's that use 4 pci links" will work as a boot drive in the Z440. That's all the information I need to know?  I'm thinking about picking up a Samsung 970 Pro has anyone used this drive as a boot drive in the Z turbo G2 with a Z440 running Windows 10?   I read somewhere that only a Special SM961 PCIe AHCI SSD will run as a boot drive, has this changed with updates?

HP Recommended

your HP z440 was released AFTER the z820 model line

all HP workstations AFTER the z820 support the NVME boot protocol only the z820 and earlier lack official nvme support

most SSD specs "DO" include the number of pci-e links in the mfgr spec sheet here's the Samsung 970 Pro  one

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/global.semi.static/Samsung_NVMe_SSD_970_PRO_Data_Sheet_Rev.1.0...

go to page "5" Technical  specifications, (second line) it states the PCI-E bus revision it supports (3.0), the number of links (x4)

the supported protocol (NVME) and it's revision (1.3)

Interface PCIe Gen 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.3

HP Recommended

Thank you, very much!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.