Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dudeze75
4 0 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Solved!

Consistent POST Error - 517 Memory configuration requires a Memory fan and this fan is not detected

HP Recommended
HP Z840 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

After run many times full diagnostics of every components with all components with PASSED results , I still have Consistent POST Error - 517 Memory configuration requires a Memory fan and this fan is not detected Message before the system boot up.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,841 10,837 1,009 3,052
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HERE IS A DOCUMENT on that error message.  Look over that and check the RESOLUTION area.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HERE IS A DOCUMENT on that error message.  Look over that and check the RESOLUTION area.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
epic-JohnJo
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That link doesnt seem to work anymore. Can you please re-link the document? I am getting the same issue and my fan seems to be running fine.

0 Kudos
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I found the document again

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04577562

See if that helps

I'm not an HP employee.

0 Kudos
MattiasGrandis
2 1 0 1
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you happen to find yourself with an HP Z440 and want to max the memory out but can not find the memory cooling solution J2R52AA (Discontinued and very expensive on the second hand market), you'll get these errors:

"517-Memory configuration requires a Memory fan and this fan is not detected." and "520-Memory configuration requires Memory fan(2) and this fan is not detected."

You can then trick it to get rid of the error. Just borrow the signal from the rear case fan and connect it to the detection in the memory fan connector.

You can then connect any fan you want over the memory using the 12v+ground in the connector as well.

http://grandis.nu/images/Z440_Memory_fan_test_bypass.PNG

http://grandis.nu/images/Z440_Memory_fan_test_bypass2.PNG

The above pictures (same solution, different angles) are without any extra fans, just to get rid of the error message. You can, of course, put a fan or two in and use the yellow wire from the fan (Providing its a 3 or 4 pin connector on the fan) to connect to the memory fan connector on the motherboard instead. I also printed out the 12v and ground connections if you want to use them.

I've been running like this to test for a while and the memory does not get hot enough for me to connect a fan to them. No idea why that error message is for as it seems redundant...

DGroves
Level 11
4,508 4,491 411 944
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

if you look at the hp listed operating temp range for this workstation you will see it covers a wide range and if used in the upper temp range for extended time with all memory slots filled it's possible to have the system/memory exceed the range HP has listed if you do not add the missing fan

if the correct fan can not be found or for a reasonable price you should use a quality fan that matches the HP fan specs which is a high pressure fan rather than a high volume fan

here's what the HP kit looks like

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Memory-Cooling-Kit-J2R52AA/dp/B00PHVVZOM

you need to place the fan so it can cool the area's where the shroud has fans placed make your own fan brackets out of plastic (not metal!!)

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation