Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
T520
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hi,

We have some clients that we want to convert from Windows 7 embedded to HP ThinPro through HPDM.

I manually downloaded ThinPro 6 to an USB and installed it on the client. Then I ran a "_capture image" task from HP DM.

and now I have a task that contains the image.

If I apply that task to a client that has Window 7, then the task in HPDM never finishes.

It applies the OS on the client and starts it. I can see that the clients gets a generic HPxxx hostname. If I change the hostname to the previous name it had in Windows and enters the IP-address of the HPDM server in the HPDM agent, then the task continues and completes. 

But I would like to avoid to manually go to the client and change settings. 

Has anyone tried converting from Windows to ThinPro and might have a solution? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Seems to be a know issue in 4.7 SP6 and older versions.

Service Pack 7 which will be released in a week will fix the issue.

I am an HPI Employee.
My opinions are my own, and do not express those of HPI.
**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Seems to be a know issue in 4.7 SP6 and older versions.

Service Pack 7 which will be released in a week will fix the issue.

I am an HPI Employee.
HP Recommended

Before getting the new service pack, you can try the PXE imaging way to convert the OS.

Assume you have image test.dd.gz captured

1. Under the WES7E OS tab from DM console, click Template -> Import -> Image Files -> To Deploy using PXE
  2. Locate the file and Select WES7E
  3. Input rest of the information in the package description dialog
  4. Wait for PXE deployment template being created
  5. Send the template to those devices

Make sure the PXE service is enabled and those thin clients are configured to boot from network.

I am an HPI Employee.
HP Recommended

I have now tried with the new service pack, but unfortunately I still can't deploy the image to a WES7 thin client.

I haven't tried the PXE way - will try that now. But deploying with the task didn't work.

HP Recommended

I took some time to try to duplicate the issue you have, it seems that "enters the IP-address of the HPDM server " is the key of your issue.

I assume that your HPDM Gateway is not in the same subnet as those Thin Clients.

So after imaging deployment - all the thin client are refreshed to ThinPro, at the same time the current Gateway information on the Thin Client will be erased. You have to let the Thin Client know(now with the new OS) where to get the task from, so that the entire imaging process could be finished.

Of course manually input the value into Thin Client will be one way, besides we can also use either DHCP option or DNS record to make it automatically. Please check the  "Device Discovery - Automatic registration" section in admin Guide for detailed configuration.

I am an HPI Employee.
HP Recommended

Hi,

We allready have setup a DNS record, so the clients automatically registers with the HPDM server 🙂

And the HPDM server is not on the same subnet as the client.

Let me just describe the excact steps that I go through.

1. Capture a ThinPro image with the the task "_Capture Image" and save that as an task template.

2. The task template is then saved under HP ThinPro6-64. I then rightclick and choose "Copy to other OS" and copies it to the WES7 pane.

3. I run the task template on a thin client with Windows 7 Embedded.

4. After a couple of minutes the ThinPro image has been deployed to the thin client and it boots up ThinPro. But it has a generic hostname - and not the original host that it had in Windows. So if I change the hostname to the original hostname, then the task continues. I have also enterede the HPDM gateway IP manuelly - for some reason the field is blank in the HPDM agent settings. I don't know if I have to enter it or if I can leave it blank.

5. The task continues and finishes.

HP Recommended

That's by design that Network information and Current Gateway address will be refresh for cross OS imaging. So you'r expected to see a new hostname and emply Gateway IP.

Device ID is the only identity used for send/receive task between Gateway and Agent. The task should be finished after locating the right gateway through the DNS record.

Can you get the discover.log and agent.log from /etc/hpdmagent for debugging? Maybe there is something useful there.

I am an HPI Employee.
HP Recommended

I have uploaded both the logs here: https://ufile.io/adyul

It seems to configure the HPDM gateway correctly.

There are some old errors in the logs which is from when the image was captured.

The only error from today is this: 2017-06-15 10:36:47 ERROR Try to get basic network information.

HP Recommended

So can you confirm if the thin client gets the valid IP address after imaging deployment? before manually modify the hostname.

Can you please also try deploying factory image directly to WES7 unit? Navigate to Console -> Template -> Import -> HP Update Center. Locate the ThinPro image and Click "Generate Template". Check the "HPXPE" in the "Select OS Tab" dialog to put the template into WES OS tab.

BTW how is the PXE test going?

I am an HPI Employee.
HP Recommended

Yes, it gets a valid IP-address. 

I have now tried with the factory images and it's the same issue.

The PXE failed last time I tried it - unfortunately I haven't had much time to look into it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.