Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z620, 2xXeon E5 2670
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

recently i got a strange issue, the xeon e5 2670 only clocking at 2,6 ghz fixed, they are not going in turbo mode

(3 ghz or 3,3 ghz) at all anymore, not even under heavy load on all cores.

recently after purchasing the workstation, it worked without problems.

temperatures are normal, even under load only 72-75°C.

what could that be? theres a bios setting called turbo mode, but i cannot switch that to "on" when PCI-e performance mode is enabled. i don't understand, why pci performance mode deactivates the option to switch that turbo mode.

bios version is the newest, also the drivers all are up to date.

yesterday, i installed the hp performance advisor, strangely, i can set the turbo modus in the bios setting there and save the profile, but after reboot, it is deactivated again.

currently, hyperthreading is set to "off" in bios due to some compatibility issues with certain software,

but i tried this with switched to "on", and it has no influence on the max. 2,6 ghz speed.

by the way - what is the CECP mode in bios?

best greetings and thanks for any hint

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Chris_79 wrote:

Hello,

recently i got a strange issue, the xeon e5 2670 only clocking at 2,6 ghz fixed, they are not going in turbo mode

what could that be? theres a bios setting called turbo mode, but i cannot switch that to "on" when PCI-e performance mode is enabled. i don't understand, why pci performance mode deactivates the option to switch that turbo mode.

yesterday, i installed the hp performance advisor, strangely, i can set the turbo modus in the bios setting there and save the profile, but after reboot, it is deactivated again.

currently, hyperthreading is set to "off" in bios due to some compatibility issues with certain software,

but i tried this with switched to "on", and it has no influence on the max. 2,6 ghz speed.

Chris

Set PCIe performance mode to off in the bios - you will then get your turbo back.

Turn CECP to off - its some kind of power saving feature.

Make sure your power settings in Windows are set to maximum performance.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Chris_79 wrote:

Hello,

Chris

Set PCIe performance mode to off in the bios - you will then get your turbo back.

Turn CECP to off - its some kind of power saving feature.

Make sure your power settings in Windows are set to maximum performance.

HP Recommended

thanks so far! i'd just be curious to know why the pci performance mode must be turned to off then?

as i'm not an expert, this sounds to me like i can only get more speed on the cores, when having less speed on the pci lanes? 🙂 somehow strange ..

HP Recommended

@Chris_79 wrote:

thanks so far! i'd just be curious to know why the pci performance mode must be turned to off then?

as i'm not an expert, this sounds to me like i can only get more speed on the cores, when having less speed on the pci lanes? 🙂 somehow strange ..

Not sure what the PCIe performance mode is supposed to do but it doesnt seem to have anything to do with the speed at which you PCIe devices are running - there are sepearte BIOS options to set the speed for each slot but  usually I find that switching it to AUTO works best since everything is running at the maximum alowable speed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.