Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq DC7800p Convertible
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

well hello hp. My question is i have the hp compaq dc7800p with intel q35 chipset. I also have the intel core 2 duo e6750 that comes to 66C without spining the fan at high speed. I checked from intel site it says that Tcase is 72C. Also i have problem with the chipset it has too big temperatures when playing games. It goes up to 80C. What should i do. Should i change cpu fan or does it starts the high speed at 70C, and for chipset how to cool it down to at least 60C i have the normal aluminium chipset without cooler. The games i play are battlefield 3 and 4 and yesterday my pc freezed, and when i restarted funs gone in full speed but nothing showed on screen for 5 minutes, now is everything fine luckily but i wory to much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Temperatures look ok so far.

Core2Duo CPUs -besides being very energy efficient- have a built-in overheating protection.

If they ever reach high core temperatures, the frequency is decreased. If the temperatures get critical the CPU powers itself down.

Chipsets usually get a bit hot when under load.

80°C is still about 25 degrees below critical.

Which graphics card do you have ?

Afaik the power supply in these machines has only about 360 watts which is not enough for some high power graphics cards. This is very likely the reason why your PC freezed. Gaming video cards not only consume some watts, they also generate a huge amount of heat when under load.

Anyway, there are two things you can do:

First, go to HP Support and get the dc 7800 manual.

Uninstall the processor heatsink and apply new thermal paste (don't forget to clean off the old one).

Then, increase the idle fan speed in F10 BIOS Setup for better airflow.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Temperatures look ok so far.

Core2Duo CPUs -besides being very energy efficient- have a built-in overheating protection.

If they ever reach high core temperatures, the frequency is decreased. If the temperatures get critical the CPU powers itself down.

Chipsets usually get a bit hot when under load.

80°C is still about 25 degrees below critical.

Which graphics card do you have ?

Afaik the power supply in these machines has only about 360 watts which is not enough for some high power graphics cards. This is very likely the reason why your PC freezed. Gaming video cards not only consume some watts, they also generate a huge amount of heat when under load.

Anyway, there are two things you can do:

First, go to HP Support and get the dc 7800 manual.

Uninstall the processor heatsink and apply new thermal paste (don't forget to clean off the old one).

Then, increase the idle fan speed in F10 BIOS Setup for better airflow.

HP Recommended

Thanks for replay. I updated bios and fixed the cpu fun speed. i havent aplied yet thermal paste to chipset and cpu but i plan to put the coller on chipset and when i do that i would aplay the termal paste. My graphic card is Palit nvidia geforce gt630 1gb ddr3 OC (fabricaly overclocked) and she does not require aditional power. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.