Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z840 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Z840 has its original K2200 graphics card that I would like to replace with a GTX760. With the GTX760 alone installed I get fan spin on the card but after some time I get the six beeps. (It may be normal but there is hard drive activity just before the beeps.)

If I install the K2200 in addition to the GTX760 the machine boots but the GTX760 is not shown in Device Manage and is not found by HP Performance Advisor.

I have tried numerous BIOS combinations i.e. Legacy vs UEFI but I've had no luck. Changing the boot drive from MBR to GPT did not help.

The GTX760 works in a Z800.

The workstation is a F5G73AV with 1 x E5-2680 V3 processor, 32Gb RAM, 1275W PSU, BIOS v02.48, 250Gb SATA HD using MBR. Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB is installed.

The graphics card is a PNY GeForce GTX760 XLR8.

Thanks,

Peter
(UK)

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi, Peter:

Did you disable the secure boot setting in the BIOS?

On any PC that comes with W8 or newer, if the card is not one that HP enters in the secure boot keys, the PC will not start.

See this link for more info.  The settings in your PC's BIOS may be located elsewhere, but give this a try...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03653200/

HP Recommended

Hello Paul,

Thanks. Yes, Secure Boot is disabled. Some of the relevant BIOS settings I have are:

Advanced

-- Boot Options

---- UEFI Boot Options = Disable

---- Legacy Boot Options = Enable

-- Secure Boot Configuration

---- Configure Legacy Support and Secure Boot = Enable Legacy Support and Disable Secure Boot

-- Option Rom Launch Policy

---- Configure Option ROM Launch Policy = All Legacy

If I enable UEFI the system won't boot from an MBR drive. I converted to GPT and enabled UEFI but with no luck so I went back to MBR.

I'm not 100% sure if the GTX 760 is UEFI compatible but I believe it is.

Regards,

Peter

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Peter.

I am also baffled as to why that model card doesn't work in your PC.

It should certainly work with legacy mode enabled and secure boot disabled.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.