Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 6300 MT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I have a HP Compaq 6300 PRO MT with a 320 W PSU and I want to upgrade the graphics card to a GTX 1050 ti card. I have a 500GB HD and 16GB of RAM.

Can this be done using the PCI only?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

the 75 watt limit is the absolute maximum limit as defined in the pci-e spec, however computer makers can (and do) define lower ratings. the hp 6300 is one such system and is made due to the supplied power supplies on both the SFF and MT versions.... neither can support a 75 watt video card and also have all of the pci/pci-e slots filled and be running multiple Drives/optical devices

this is why i stated a minimal config of the MT system using the 320 watt supply should be able to us the 1050

PCIe x8 slots officially per the PCIe specification only provide 25W of power. (PCIe x1 slots only provide 10w). The full x16 slots provide 75 watts, since HP lists 55 watts i'm making a guess that it will also work at 75 watts but this is not a guarantee

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-compaq-pro-6300-microtower-pc/5232874/manuals

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

the single pci-e (not PCI) x8 slot which is x16 mechanically is rated for 55 watts by HP so the official answer is no as the 1050TI card is rated at 75 watts, however if you only have a single SSD or mech drive installed and no other pci/pci-e cards installed then yes it should work as long as the 1050 card you buy does not use a AUX GPU power connector (some do)

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I thought the PCI-e (x16) was 75 watts for the HP Compaq 6300 PRO MT? I am looking to but a card with no AUX GPU power connector . I have a single mech drive and no other PCI-e or PCI cards installed. I want to replace the current GT730 card.

HP Recommended

the 75 watt limit is the absolute maximum limit as defined in the pci-e spec, however computer makers can (and do) define lower ratings. the hp 6300 is one such system and is made due to the supplied power supplies on both the SFF and MT versions.... neither can support a 75 watt video card and also have all of the pci/pci-e slots filled and be running multiple Drives/optical devices

this is why i stated a minimal config of the MT system using the 320 watt supply should be able to us the 1050

PCIe x8 slots officially per the PCIe specification only provide 25W of power. (PCIe x1 slots only provide 10w). The full x16 slots provide 75 watts, since HP lists 55 watts i'm making a guess that it will also work at 75 watts but this is not a guarantee

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-compaq-pro-6300-microtower-pc/5232874/manuals

HP Recommended

Thanks for the update.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.